(HealthDay)—Following COVID-19 hospitalization, thromboembolic events occur frequently, according to a study published online April 6 in Blood.
Dimitrios Giannis, M.D., from The Feinstein Institutes for Medical Research at Northwell Health in Manhasset, New York, and colleagues used data from 4,906 consecutive COVID-19 patients (53.7 percent male; mean age, 61.7 years) hospitalized within a multihospital system from March 1 to May 31, 2020. The authors examined the frequency of postdischarge thromboembolic events (venous thromboembolism [VTE], arterial thromboembolism [ATE], and all-cause mortality).
The researchers found that postdischarge thromboprophylaxis was prescribed in 13.2 percent and the composite primary outcome rate was 7.13 percent (VTE, 1.55 percent; ATE, 1.71 percent; all-cause mortality, 4.83 percent; major bleeding, 1.73 percent). The composite primary outcome was significantly associated with advanced age (odds ratio [OR], 3.66), prior VTE (OR, 2.99), intensive care unit stay (OR, 2.22), chronic kidney disease (OR, 2.10), peripheral arterial disease (OR, 2.04), carotid occlusive disease (OR, 2.02), IMPROVE-DD VTE score ≥4 (OR, 1.51), and coronary artery disease (OR, 1.50). After discharge, reduced rates of the primary outcome were associated with anticoagulation (OR, 0.54).
“This study reveals it is important to monitor COVID-19 survivors for dangerous blood clots even after they leave the hospital,” Kevin J. Tracey, M.D., chief executive officer of the Feinstein Institutes, said in a statement.
Follow the latest news on the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak
Copyright © 2021 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Blood clot risk high following COVID-19 hospitalization (2021, April 12)
retrieved 12 April 2021
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
- Essential Eye-Care Tips For A Safe Diwali - October 27, 2021
- Mansukh Mandaviya to hold meeting with state health ministers - October 27, 2021
- COVID-19: Kerala logs 7,163 new cases, 482 deaths - October 27, 2021
- Govt plans to invest Rs 100 cr per district to upgrade healthcare infra - October 27, 2021
- COVID-19: Active cases drop to 74,735 in Kerala - October 26, 2021
- Ayushman Bharat Health Infrastructure Mission: Everything you must know about ‘India’s largest health infra scheme’ - October 26, 2021
- Moderna to supply Africa with up to 110 million COVID doses - October 26, 2021
- India committed to supplying COVID-19 vaccines to other nations - October 25, 2021
- Mamata Banerjee asks people to wear mask to prevent spike in Covid cases - October 25, 2021
- Dengue cases in Delhi cross 1,000-mark; over 280 fresh cases in one week - October 25, 2021