Canada announced Tuesday a deal to secure an additional 20 million doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine, which would allow for more than half of Canadians to be inoculated before summer.
The American and German pharmaceutical giants will also accelerate deliveries of their jointly-developed vaccine over the coming months, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau told a news conference.
“Between mid-April and June, we will have enough doses to vaccinate up to 20 million people,” or more than half of Canada’s population of 38 million, he said.
This—along with the parallel rollout of a Moderna vaccine in December—puts Canada “on track to have every Canadian who wants a vaccine receive one by September,” he added.
Hedging bets, Canada has ordered and placed options with seven pharmaceutical firms for more than 400 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines in total.
As of Tuesday, Canada counted more than 673,000 COVID-19 cases and 17,000 deaths.
Follow the latest news on the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak
© 2021 AFP
Canada buys additional 20 million Pfizer vaccine doses (2021, January 12)
retrieved 13 January 2021
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
- Science Reveals Top Marathon Runners’ Secrets - January 16, 2021
- ADDING MULTIMEDIA Alarm.com Develops the First Touchless Video Doorbell - January 16, 2021
- राज्य में किसानों के लिए 500 करोड़ के फूड प्रोसेसिंग प्लांट्स लगाए जाएँगे - January 16, 2021
- The COVID-19 pandemic in Brazil has overwhelmed its health systems - January 16, 2021
- Program Helps Low-Income Women Get Needed Mammograms - January 16, 2021
- आयुष राज्य मंत्री श्री कावरे ने दो जिला आयुष कार्यालय भवन का किया लोकार्पण - January 16, 2021
- North Brazil risks new ‘catastrophic’ Covid wave: WHO - January 16, 2021
- What Happened to the Flu This Year? - January 16, 2021
- मंत्री श्री ओमप्रकाश सखलेचा का दो दिवसीय दौरा कार्यक्रम - January 16, 2021
- Pandemic ‘leads to slump in heart disease tests’ - January 16, 2021