MONDAY, Oct. 12, 2020 — Young women with cancer are at a high risk for employment and financial consequences, a new study finds.
“Our study addresses the burden of employment disruption and financial hardship among young women with cancer — a group who may be at particular risk for poor financial outcomes after cancer given their age and gender,” said researcher Clare Meernik, a fellow at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill’s Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center.
She and her colleagues surveyed more than 1,300 women in North Carolina and California a median of seven years after diagnosis. Their cancer was diagnosed when they were 15 to 39 years of age and working.
Following their diagnosis, 32% of the women had to stop working or cut back on their hours. Twenty-seven percent said they had to borrow money, go into debt or file for bankruptcy because of cancer treatment. Women with disrupted employment were more likely — by 17 percentage points — to have these problems than women who were able to keep working.
Half of the women said they were stressed about their big medical bills, and women with disrupted employment were more likely to suffer psychological distress by 8 percentage points than women who were able to keep working.
The findings were published online Oct. 12 in the journal Cancer.
“Our findings highlight the need for effective interventions to promote job maintenance and transition back to the workforce after cancer treatment, as well as increased workplace accommodations and benefits, to improve cancer outcomes for young women,” Meernik said in a journal news release.
© 2020 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Posted: October 2020
More News Resources
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Whatever your topic of interest, subscribe to our newsletters to get the best of Drugs.com in your inbox.
- WHO reports third straight daily record in virus cases - October 26, 2020
- Colombia reaches 1 million confirmed coronavirus cases - October 25, 2020
- गृह मंत्री डॉ. मिश्रा और कृषि मंत्री श्री पटेल ने विजयादशमी की दी शुभकामनाएँ - October 25, 2020
- Skip Costume Contact Lenses This Halloween - October 25, 2020
- मुख्यमंत्री श्री चौहान ने प्रदेशवासियों को दी विजयादशमी की शुभकामनाएँ - October 25, 2020
- Tata Memorial Centre Walk In 26th and 27th Oct 2020 for Bpharma Dpharma Bsc Msc DiplomaMultiple Positions - October 25, 2020
- S Kant Healthcare Ltd Walk In Interviews for Quality Assurance on 30th Oct 2020 - October 25, 2020
- मुख्यमंत्री निवास में दुर्गा नवमी पर पूजा अर्चना और कन्या पूजन - October 25, 2020
- राज्यपाल श्रीमती पटेल ने विजय दशमी पर्व की बधाई दी - October 25, 2020
- कोविड-19 को हराने का और एक बने, नेक बने का ले संकल्प: श्रीमती पटेल - October 25, 2020