Chinese biopharmaceutical firm Sinovac said Friday a third production line for its COVID-19 vaccine has been put into use, doubling its annual capacity of the jabs to two billion doses.
Its CoronaVac is one of four domestic vaccines given conditional approval by Chinese authorities, which helps rush emergency drugs to market.
On Wednesday, experts from the World Health Organization said an interim analysis of clinical trial data from two Chinese vaccines, including Sinovac’s product, showed they demonstrated “safety and good efficacy”, although more data is still needed.
“Over 200 million doses of CoronaVac have been delivered to over 20 countries, including China,” said Sinovac in its latest statement.
Although Sinovac’s jab has been approved by domestic regulators, it has yet to receive authorisation by what the WHO considers “a stringent regulatory authority”, noted the UN health agency’s Strategic Advisory Group of Experts on Immunization (SAGE).
Sinovac is among Chinese firms to have submitted data in applications for the WHO’s emergency use listing, which opens the door for the jabs to join the global Covax programme, which aims to ensure equitable access to COVID-19 vaccinations.
Follow the latest news on the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak
© 2021 AFP
China vaccine maker Sinovac says doubles production capacity (2021, April 2)
retrieved 2 April 2021
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
- South African regulator rejects Russia’s COVID-19 vaccine - October 20, 2021
- Second wave of pandemic not receded yet, third wave feared post-Diwali: Maha health minister - October 20, 2021
- WHO chief discusses Covaxin, resumption of AstraZeneca vaccine supplies to COVAX facility with Health Minister Mandaviya - October 20, 2021
- Trivitron Healthcare in collaboration with Diagon- Vanguard Diagnostics launches Diagon’s Coagulation range in India - October 20, 2021
- Breast cancer early detection, screening, and management – what we need to know - October 20, 2021
- WHO’s technical advisory group to meet on Oct 26 to consider Covaxin - October 19, 2021
- 163 oxygen plants set up in MP after shortage during 2nd COVID-19 wave: CM Shivraj Singh Chouhan - October 19, 2021
- India’s R-value below 1 since September, researchers say - October 19, 2021
- Mumbai: Double vaccine jab not mandatory to enter theatres, colleges to reopen with 50% attendance - October 19, 2021
- Daily exercise routine, balanced diet, active lifestyle & quality sleep key to success in personal & professional lives: Experts - October 19, 2021