MONDAY, Jan. 11, 2021 — Americans battling hypertension may have one less thing to worry about: Blood pressure drugs do not affect outcomes of people hospitalized with COVID-19, a new study finds.
Researchers looked at whether two types of medications used to treat high blood pressure — ACE inhibitors or angiotensin receptor blockers (ARBs) — could either lessen complications or lead to more severe COVID symptoms.
“At the start of the pandemic, patients were worried about perceived harm based on limited and incomplete information and, unfortunately, some insisted on stopping their medications,” said study first author Dr. Jordana Cohen, an assistant professor in the university’s Perelman School of Medicine. “However, stopping these medications unnecessarily can increase the risk for severe complications, including heart attack and stroke,”
“Now, we have high-quality evidence to support our recommendation that patients continue to take these medications as prescribed,” Cohen said in a university news release.”Our trial results importantly show that these medications can be safely continued for patients hospitalized with COVID-19,” said researchers from the University of Pennsylvania.
The study involved 152 patients who were hospitalized with COVID-19 and already using one of the blood pressure drugs. The researchers randomly assigned the patients to either continue their medications or stop using them.
The investigators found no difference in outcomes between the two groups.
More than 49 million Americans take high blood pressure medications, and about 83% (41 million) of them take an ACE inhibitor or an ARB, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
The report was published Jan. 7 in the journal The Lancet Respiratory Medicine.
© 2021 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Posted: January 2021
Further Support and Information on COVID-19
- महिला सम्मान के लिये चलाए जा रहे अभियान में समाज सहभागी बने - January 16, 2021
- Cancer Screening Fell Sharply Early in Pandemic, But Has Rebounded - January 16, 2021
- Why expansion of vaccine to smokers caused a stir - January 16, 2021
- Sunrise International Pvt Ltd Multiple Openings for Production Quality Control Quality Assurance IPQA Departments Apply Now - January 16, 2021
- मंत्री डॉ. मिश्रा ने कोरोना वैक्सीनेशन कराने वालों से की चर्चा - January 16, 2021
- California now reporting 525 virus deaths every day - January 16, 2021
- स्वदेशी वैक्सीन का निर्माण गर्व का विषय : मुख्यमंत्री श्री चौहान - January 16, 2021
- Swallowing Problems (Dysphagia) Causes, Types, Symtpoms & Treatment - January 16, 2021
- Mexico sees record spike in coronavirus cases - January 16, 2021
- पशुपालन मंत्री श्री पटेल ने 9 गाँवों में 9 करोड़ की नल-जल योजनाओं का किया भूमि-पूजन - January 16, 2021