The number of cases of coronavirus recorded worldwide has passed 5.25 million, more than two thirds of them in Europe and the United States, according to an AFP tally at 1650 GMT Saturday.
There are now 5,250,658 cases officially recorded, with 339,172 deaths attributed to the virus. Europe is the hardest-hit continent, with 2,003,510 cases and 173,186 deaths, while the United States is the worst-hit country, with 1,604,879 cases and 96,125 deaths.
These latest figures mean that the number of recorded cases worldwide has doubled in a month, and that 250,000 new cases have been recorded in less than three days.
The region that is seeing the swiftest rise in cases is now Latin America and the Caribbean, which saw 33,719 recorded on Friday—against 28,647 in the United States and Canada, which was previously where new recorded cases were appearing fastest.
On Friday, the World Health Organization (WHO) said that South America was “a new epicentre” of the virus, describing the situation in Brazil as particularly alarming.
The tallies, using data collected by AFP from national authorities and information from the WHO, probably reflect only a fraction of the actual number of infections.
Many countries are testing only symptomatic or the most serious cases.
Follow the latest news on the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak
© 2020 AFP
Coronavirus cases pass 5.25 million worldwide (2020, May 23)
retrieved 23 May 2020
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
- Ayush Ministry signs MoU with Ministry of Rural Development to empower the rural youth - March 17, 2023
- Know what’s best for your ‘Kidney’ – Understand the ‘Y.’ - March 9, 2023
- KidneyHealthForAll on World Kidney Day - March 9, 2023
- COVID case rates hit new high for England, study finds - April 7, 2022
- Govt’s focus on affordable healthcare ensured significant savings for poor, middle class: PM Modi - April 7, 2022
- SRL Diagnostics and Skye Air Mobility collaborate to transport pathology samples using drone logistics - April 6, 2022
- Healthineers sets up new production line of CT scanners in Bengaluru under PLI scheme - April 6, 2022
- Lupin inks licensing pact with Alvion to market drugs in Southeast Asia - April 6, 2022
- Yoga Mahotsav: Ayush Ministry to organise event to demonstrate common yoga on World Health Day - April 6, 2022
- LordsMed forays into the medtech space with launch of health ATMs ‘Lords Sehat’ - April 5, 2022