The coronavirus outbreak has claimed another 753 lives in the last 24 hours in France, bringing the country’s total fatalities to 17,920, top French health official Jerome Salomon said Thursday.
But the number of virus patients hospitalised dropped by 474 and the number in critical care fell by 209, the health ministry’s number two official said.
“The spread of the virus is stabilising at a high level,” he added.
Among the dead were 11,060 who died in hospital and 6,860 in care homes or other establishments, he said.
The number of people remaining in critical care was 6,248 which, though down slightly, outstrips the 5,000 specialist reanimation beds in French hospitals, meaning there are “still tensions” on hospital services, said Salomon.
The current situation corresponds with a “plateau” in the number of cases, he said, while stressing that people need to continue to respect the lockdown rules.
On Monday France extended its nationwide lockdown until May 11.
Follow the latest news on the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak
© 2020 AFP
Coronavirus claims another 753 lives in France: official (2020, April 16)
retrieved 16 April 2020
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
- COVID case rates hit new high for England, study finds - April 7, 2022
- Govt’s focus on affordable healthcare ensured significant savings for poor, middle class: PM Modi - April 7, 2022
- SRL Diagnostics and Skye Air Mobility collaborate to transport pathology samples using drone logistics - April 6, 2022
- Healthineers sets up new production line of CT scanners in Bengaluru under PLI scheme - April 6, 2022
- Lupin inks licensing pact with Alvion to market drugs in Southeast Asia - April 6, 2022
- Yoga Mahotsav: Ayush Ministry to organise event to demonstrate common yoga on World Health Day - April 6, 2022
- LordsMed forays into the medtech space with launch of health ATMs ‘Lords Sehat’ - April 5, 2022
- ‘Friendly viruses’ can be the next big thing in the history of medical research and more - April 5, 2022
- No setback to Bharat Biotech even as WHO suspends Covaxin UN supply: Sources - April 4, 2022
- Govt panel recommends Serum’s Covovax dose for kids aged 12 and above - April 4, 2022