Ahead of the main festive season, India has been witnessing a steady decline in daily Coronavirus infections, thanks to the increasing pace of vaccination across the country and decline in new cases in Kerala. India reported 1.56 lakh new Coronavirus infections last week, a nearly 22% decline over the previous week — the sharpest fall since mid-June, according to data from the Union Health Ministry.
The country has reported below 2 lakh new Covid-19 cases last week for the first time in nearly seven months. New cases have been hovering around 20,000-25,000 for the past few days. At 20,799, India witnessed below 30,000 new Covid-19 cases for the tenth straight day, while the active cases declined to 2,64,458, the lowest in 200 days, according to data from the Union Health Ministry data on Monday. With the fresh cases, India’s overall Covid tally cases increased to 3,38,34,702, while the death toll climbed to 4,48,997 with 180 fresh fatalities, the Health Ministry said.
Kerala, which has been contributing over 60% to India’s Covid-19 tally for the past few weeks, and Mizoram, which is witnessing a sharp spike in daily Covid-19 cases, have announced further relaxations in Covid-19 restrictions, allowing more activities ahead of the festive season. The Union Health Ministry, state governments, and experts have warned people not to lower the guard and follow appropriate Covid-protocols, such as wearing masks, maintaining distance and avoid crowding, and keep the celebration low in order to check the spread of Coronavirus infections as it could trigger another wave.
Meanwhile, the Covid-19 vaccination drive has picked up pace in the country. India has so far administered 90.79 crore doses of the Covid-19 vaccine. In another good news that will further boost India’s vaccination drive, the National Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation (NTAGI) chief said the rollout of Zydus Cadila’s Covid-19 vaccine is likely to take 2 more weeks.
- COVID case rates hit new high for England, study finds - April 7, 2022
- Govt’s focus on affordable healthcare ensured significant savings for poor, middle class: PM Modi - April 7, 2022
- SRL Diagnostics and Skye Air Mobility collaborate to transport pathology samples using drone logistics - April 6, 2022
- Healthineers sets up new production line of CT scanners in Bengaluru under PLI scheme - April 6, 2022
- Lupin inks licensing pact with Alvion to market drugs in Southeast Asia - April 6, 2022
- Yoga Mahotsav: Ayush Ministry to organise event to demonstrate common yoga on World Health Day - April 6, 2022
- LordsMed forays into the medtech space with launch of health ATMs ‘Lords Sehat’ - April 5, 2022
- ‘Friendly viruses’ can be the next big thing in the history of medical research and more - April 5, 2022
- No setback to Bharat Biotech even as WHO suspends Covaxin UN supply: Sources - April 4, 2022
- Govt panel recommends Serum’s Covovax dose for kids aged 12 and above - April 4, 2022