New Yorkers over 16 years old can sign up for COVID-19 vaccinations starting Tuesday, a major expansion of eligibility as the state seeks to immunize as many people as possible.
Gov. Andrew Cuomo expanded eligibility to 30 and over last week and announced that people aged 16 to 29 would be eligible starting April 6.
Teens aged 16 and 17 will be limited to receiving the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, since that is the only one that has been authorized for use by people under 18. Parental consent will be required for vaccinations of 16- and 17-year-olds, with certain exceptions including for teens who are married or are parents.
None of the available vaccines have yet been approved for people under 16.
About one in five New York state residents were fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as of Monday, according to the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. A little more than one-third of the state’s residents had received at least one vaccine dose.
The new vaccination rules add 1.7 million people to the list of eligible New Yorkers, for a total of 15.9 million individuals, state Health Department officials said.
Follow the latest news on the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak
© 2021 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.
COVID-19 vaccine eligibility expands to 16 and over in NY (2021, April 6)
retrieved 6 April 2021
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
- Two distinct types of COVID-19-associated acute respiratory distress syndrome identified - April 15, 2021
- South India's First Laser Assisted Primary Angioplasty Saves Patient with Cardiac Shock at Kauvery Hospital, Chennai - April 15, 2021
- प्रदेश में प्रारंभ हुए 94 कोविड केयर सेंटर - April 15, 2021
- CBD or THC? Cannabis Product Labels Often Mislead, Study Finds - April 15, 2021
- Good dental health may help prevent heart infection from mouth bacteria - April 15, 2021
- फलदार पौधों को प्रदेश में ही नहीं देश में सप्लाई करती है पचमढ़ी की नर्सरियाँ - April 15, 2021
- A Woman’s Exposure to DDT Could Affect Her Granddaughter’s Health Today - April 15, 2021
- Open the windows to curb COVID spread: experts - April 15, 2021
- मुख्यमंत्री श्री चौहान ने मुख्यमंत्री निवास में मौलश्री का पौधा रोपा - April 15, 2021
- Links Between Gum Disease and Alzheimer’s - April 15, 2021