New Delhi: Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) is a group of intestinal conditions, affecting your digestive tract.
IBD primarily consists of two long-term disorders that involve inflammation of the gut – ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease.
Suffering from inflammatory bowel diseases? Include this in your diet to ease the symptoms
Difference between Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis
While Crohn’s disease affects the small intestine and large intestine, it can also affect the mouth, esophagus, stomach and the anus. Ulcerative colitis primarily affects the colon and the rectum.
Both the conditions can be debilitating and sometimes leads to life-threatening complications.
Inflammatory bowel disease can affect people of any age, but individuals between the ages of 15 and 40 are more prone to it.
Signs and symptoms of IBD
Although ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease affect people differently, both may show any of the following symptoms:
Abdominal pain and cramping
Swelling in the tummy
Rectal bleeding or blood in stool
Muscle spasms in the region of the pelvis
Fever and fatigue
loss of appetite
Depending on the severity of inflammation and where it occurs, symptoms may vary amongst patients.
Because IBD is a complex disease, the exact cause remains unclear. Doctors believe there are a few things that may play a role in the development of the disease – genetics, problems with the immune system.
Is there a cure for IBD?
At present, there’s no cure for IBD, however, there are a number of treatments that aim to relieve the symptoms and prevent them from returning. They may include specific diets, lifestyle changes, medicines and surgery.
In order to create awareness about these diseases – Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis – World Inflammatory Bowel Disease Day, or World IBD Day, is observed on May 19 each year.
- Essential Eye-Care Tips For A Safe Diwali - October 27, 2021
- Mansukh Mandaviya to hold meeting with state health ministers - October 27, 2021
- COVID-19: Kerala logs 7,163 new cases, 482 deaths - October 27, 2021
- Govt plans to invest Rs 100 cr per district to upgrade healthcare infra - October 27, 2021
- COVID-19: Active cases drop to 74,735 in Kerala - October 26, 2021
- Ayushman Bharat Health Infrastructure Mission: Everything you must know about ‘India’s largest health infra scheme’ - October 26, 2021
- Moderna to supply Africa with up to 110 million COVID doses - October 26, 2021
- India committed to supplying COVID-19 vaccines to other nations - October 25, 2021
- Mamata Banerjee asks people to wear mask to prevent spike in Covid cases - October 25, 2021
- Dengue cases in Delhi cross 1,000-mark; over 280 fresh cases in one week - October 25, 2021