Mumbai: A team of doctors have successfully removed a fibroid weighing 2.75 kg from the uterus of a 36-year-old woman at a civic-run hospital in Mumbai.
The woman was operated at Cooper Hospital in suburban Juhu late last month after being admitted with a lump in abdomen and pain, a senior doctor said on Monday.
“The patient visited our OPD on March 18 with complaints of heavy menstrual bleeding (menorrhagia) since one year and lump in abdomen like she was seven months pregnant. She appeared weak due to which she was unable to take care of her two children,” said Dr Ganesh Shinde, dean of the municipal hospital.
“Medical tests revealed her haemoglobin was low. So we decided to boost her haemoglobin level and then we performed the operation after 10 days, which lasted for almost two hours,” said Shinde, a gynaecologist who led the team of doctors which performed the surgery.
The surgery was performed with minimal blood loss and when uterus was removed, it weighed 2.75 kg studded with multiple fibroids, he said.
Fibroids are non-cancerous tumours that grow from the muscle layers of the uterus
Another gynaecologist Dr Hemlata Kuhite, who assisted in the surgery, said patient was doing fine and discharged today.
She said, “Fibroid uterus is one of the most common gynaecological disorders encountered by the practising doctors.”
Explaining the symptoms of such fibroids, she said they can manifest in heavy menstrual bleeding, painful menstruation, irregular bleeding and painful intercourse.
If not treated properly, fibroids can get enlarged and lead to pressure on surrounding structures, causing a host of other problems, Dr Kuhite said.zeenews
- COVID case rates hit new high for England, study finds - April 7, 2022
- Govt’s focus on affordable healthcare ensured significant savings for poor, middle class: PM Modi - April 7, 2022
- SRL Diagnostics and Skye Air Mobility collaborate to transport pathology samples using drone logistics - April 6, 2022
- Healthineers sets up new production line of CT scanners in Bengaluru under PLI scheme - April 6, 2022
- Lupin inks licensing pact with Alvion to market drugs in Southeast Asia - April 6, 2022
- Yoga Mahotsav: Ayush Ministry to organise event to demonstrate common yoga on World Health Day - April 6, 2022
- LordsMed forays into the medtech space with launch of health ATMs ‘Lords Sehat’ - April 5, 2022
- ‘Friendly viruses’ can be the next big thing in the history of medical research and more - April 5, 2022
- No setback to Bharat Biotech even as WHO suspends Covaxin UN supply: Sources - April 4, 2022
- Govt panel recommends Serum’s Covovax dose for kids aged 12 and above - April 4, 2022