Egypt said Saturday the first doses of the coronavirus vaccine developed by Anglo-Swedish pharmaceutical giant AstraZeneca would arrive on Sunday.
The Egyptian authority in charge of the acquisition of pharmaceuticals announced “the arrival of the first batch of the AstraZeneca-Oxford vaccine tomorrow, Sunday January 31, 2021”, without specifying the number of doses.
Last week, officials said they had ordered 20 million doses, according to Egyptian media.
Egypt, the Arab world’s most populous country with around 100 million people, has recorded nearly 165,000 COVID-19 cases, including more than 9,200 deaths.
But some health officials suggest the reported infection rate is much lower than actual figures.
Cairo started vaccinating healthcare workers using China’s Sinopharm jabs on January 24, the first doses of which were delivered in December.
On Friday, Health Minister Hala Zayed said that 1,315 medical workers had received a first dose.
Jabs will be rolled out next to the elderly and people with chronic health conditions.
AstraZeneca was initially praised for the speed of its vaccine development, but is now being criticised for delays in delivery to the European Union due to production problems.
Germany’s Robert Koch Institute has also questioned the effectiveness of the jab among the over-65s, citing gaps in test data.
Follow the latest news on the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak
© 2021 AFP
Egypt to receive first AstraZeneca vaccines Sunday (2021, January 30)
retrieved 30 January 2021
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
- COVID case rates hit new high for England, study finds - April 7, 2022
- Govt’s focus on affordable healthcare ensured significant savings for poor, middle class: PM Modi - April 7, 2022
- SRL Diagnostics and Skye Air Mobility collaborate to transport pathology samples using drone logistics - April 6, 2022
- Healthineers sets up new production line of CT scanners in Bengaluru under PLI scheme - April 6, 2022
- Lupin inks licensing pact with Alvion to market drugs in Southeast Asia - April 6, 2022
- Yoga Mahotsav: Ayush Ministry to organise event to demonstrate common yoga on World Health Day - April 6, 2022
- LordsMed forays into the medtech space with launch of health ATMs ‘Lords Sehat’ - April 5, 2022
- ‘Friendly viruses’ can be the next big thing in the history of medical research and more - April 5, 2022
- No setback to Bharat Biotech even as WHO suspends Covaxin UN supply: Sources - April 4, 2022
- Govt panel recommends Serum’s Covovax dose for kids aged 12 and above - April 4, 2022