Puducherry: As the World Kidney Day was being observed across the globe on Thursday; a tragedy unfolded in the union territory of Puducherry, where three patients, including two women, who were undergoing Haemodialysis at the Indira Gandhi Medical College and Research Institute (IGMCRI), died because of erratic power supply.
The deceased were identified as Suseela, of Kadirkamam, Amsa, of Veeman Nagar and Ganesan, of Muthirapalaym.
There was a power cut at 11 in the morning and only three machines were running with back-up. However, the patients developed complications after the supply was resumed within 15 minutes of the outage. Though doctors rushed to their aid, they could not revive the patients.
After the power was restored, the patients started vomiting, their muscles became stiff. Two patients died instantly, while the third died in ICU.
Puducherry Minister for Health & Family Welfare, Malladi Krishna Rao, condoled the deaths and suspended the medical team for their carelessness.
“I sympathise with the family of the victim and will surely support the family. I have also set up a panel comprising of two nephrologists from the government hospital and an executive engineer, to conduct an enquiry. A doctor, two nurses and three trainee technicians have been suspended who were there during the operation. We have announced a compensation of Rs. 5 lakh to the kin of the deceased,” said Rao.
The relatives of the patients went berserk and indulged in violence, damaging the glass doors of the unit to register their protest against the poor infrastructural facilities at the hospital
- COVID case rates hit new high for England, study finds - April 7, 2022
- Lupin inks licensing pact with Alvion to market drugs in Southeast Asia - April 6, 2022
- LordsMed forays into the medtech space with launch of health ATMs ‘Lords Sehat’ - April 5, 2022
- No setback to Bharat Biotech even as WHO suspends Covaxin UN supply: Sources - April 4, 2022
- Govt panel recommends Serum’s Covovax dose for kids aged 12 and above - April 4, 2022