Estonia is planning to start issuing digital vaccination certificates in April, an official from the social affairs ministry said on Wednesday.
“We are planning to have our certificates ready in April together with our partner Guardtime,” said Kalle Killar, undersecretary for e-health and innovation at the ministry.
Killar said the digital certificates would help people both for travelling and in their everyday life and would be both easier to verify and more secure than paper ones.
He added that a global vaccination certificate which the Estonian government is working on with the World Health Organization (WHO) would likely take years to develop.
Estonia, a tech-savvy Baltic state that has served as a testing ground for innovations, has one of the highest coronavirus infection rates in Europe.
Its prime minister, Kaja Kallas, is currently in quarantine after testing positive for the coronavirus.
The EU member of 1.3 million people also has one of the highest vaccination rates in Europe.
The European Union has announced plans for digital vaccination certificates before the summer to facilitate travel.
Icelanders get Covid vaccine ‘passports’
© 2021 AFP
Estonia to issue digital vaccine certificates from April (2021, March 24)
retrieved 25 March 2021
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
- COVID case rates hit new high for England, study finds - April 7, 2022
- Govt’s focus on affordable healthcare ensured significant savings for poor, middle class: PM Modi - April 7, 2022
- SRL Diagnostics and Skye Air Mobility collaborate to transport pathology samples using drone logistics - April 6, 2022
- Healthineers sets up new production line of CT scanners in Bengaluru under PLI scheme - April 6, 2022
- Lupin inks licensing pact with Alvion to market drugs in Southeast Asia - April 6, 2022
- Yoga Mahotsav: Ayush Ministry to organise event to demonstrate common yoga on World Health Day - April 6, 2022
- LordsMed forays into the medtech space with launch of health ATMs ‘Lords Sehat’ - April 5, 2022
- ‘Friendly viruses’ can be the next big thing in the history of medical research and more - April 5, 2022
- No setback to Bharat Biotech even as WHO suspends Covaxin UN supply: Sources - April 4, 2022
- Govt panel recommends Serum’s Covovax dose for kids aged 12 and above - April 4, 2022