Life expectancy across much of the European Union has dropped last year, as the 27-nation bloc struggled with the impact of the coronavirus pandemic.
The EU statistical agency Eurostat said Wednesday that “following the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic last year, life expectancy at birth fell in the vast majority of the EU member states.” It said the biggest drop was in Spain, with a loss of 1.6 years compared with 2019.
Bulgaria followed with a loss of 1.5 years, followed by Lithuania, Poland and Romania, which all saw a drop of -1.4 years. Denmark and Finland were the only nations to see a rise in life expectancy, with 0.1 years.
There was no overall EU statistic available since Ireland hadn’t reported data.
Covid cuts Italy life expectancy by almost one year
© 2021 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.
EU life expectancy drops across bloc amid virus pandemic (2021, April 7)
retrieved 7 April 2021
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
- Study reveals how some antibodies can broadly neutralize ebolaviruses - April 16, 2021
- ‘Magic Mushroom’ Hallucinogen as Good as Antidepressants: Study - April 16, 2021
- ऑक्सीजन टैंकर्स के लिये भी बनेगा ग्रीन कॉरीडोर, पायलेटिंग भी होगी - April 16, 2021
- Study estimates duration of employment loss experienced by adults with kidney failure - April 16, 2021
- JustLuxe Launches Yacht Showroom in Partnership with YATCO - April 16, 2021
- Rashes Can Occur After COVID Vaccine, But Dermatologists Say ‘Don’t Worry’ - April 16, 2021
- आर्सेनिक एल्ब-30 का वितरण करायेगा आयुष विभाग - April 16, 2021
- How common is stroke in people critically ill with COVID-19? - April 16, 2021
- Even Before COVID, Many More People Died Early in U.S. Versus Europe - April 16, 2021
- एम्स में कोविड मरीजों के लिये बढ़ेंगे बेड - April 16, 2021