The EU’s medicines regulator on Friday gave the green light for the first injectable treatment for the HIV virus that causes AIDS, which could change the lives of millions of people.
The cocktail of two antiretroviral (ARV) drugs, rilpivirine and cabotegravir, can be given every few months instead of a daily pill to keep HIV infection under control.
“The two medicines are the first ARVs that come in a long-acting injectable formulation,” the European Medicines Agency said in a statement.
“This means that instead of daily pills, patients receive intramuscular injections monthly or every two months,” the Amsterdam-based agency said.
The EMA’s recommendation for marketing authorisation must now be approved by the European Commission before it can be prescribed across the 27-nation bloc.
The injectable version of the drugs could be transformative for people with HIV.
People who forget to take their daily, lifelong doses of HIV medication run the risk of the virus rebounding to make them ill.
They can also develop resistance to the drugs they are using—which would require a more expensive replacement.
The new cocktail of rilpivirine and cabotegravir—branded as Rekambys and Vocabria—work together “to block the ability of the virus to replicate,” the EMA said.
The agency said the injectable treatment is a “significant improvement… by reducing the burden associated with daily pill taking.”
Around 38 million people around the world were living with HIV in 2019, according to World Health Organization figures, with some 2.3 million people in Europe.
There is no cure for the HIV infection but ARV therapies can control the virus, help prevent transmission and allow patients to live longer.
Once-per-month HIV drugs on the horizon
© 2020 AFP
EU regulator greenlights first injectable HIV drug (2020, October 16)
retrieved 16 October 2020
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
- फटे होठों से हैं परेशान, सिर्फ सर्दी से नहीं इन 5 अनजान कारणों से होती है ये समस्या - October 28, 2020
- Researchers find confusion over masks for wildfire, COVID-19 crises - October 28, 2020
- EVERTOGEN life Sciences Operator executive in Production Walk in on 31 oct and 1st nov 2020 - October 28, 2020
- FDC Limited Hiring BPharma Mpharma for Assistant Manager QA - October 28, 2020
- तरबूज, अलसी और खरबूजे के बीज के बिना आपका डाइट प्लान है अधूरा, जानिये इनके फायदे और इस्तेमाल का तरीका - October 28, 2020
- Venclexta (venetoclax) - October 28, 2020
- Divided Belgium turns into Europe’s worst virus hot spot - October 28, 2020
- 200 mn Covid vaccine doses pledged for ‘equitable’ use - October 28, 2020
- Need to Pee? Scientists May Have Found the Gene for That - October 28, 2020
- Governor bans indoor dining in Chicago as virus cases surge - October 28, 2020