(HealthDay)—Higher exposure to residential greenspace in childhood is associated with a reduced risk for pediatric-onset inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), according to a study published in the February issue of the American Journal of Gastroenterology.
Michael Elten, from the University of Ottawa in Ontario, Canada, and colleagues conducted a retrospective cohort study using linked population-based health administrative and environmental data sets. A total of 2,715,318 mother-infant pairs from hospital births in Ontario between April 1, 1991, and March 31, 2014, were included. Exposure to residential greenspace was measured, and the potential associations between residential greenspace and risk for developing IBD before age 18 years were examined.
During follow-up, there were 3,444 IBD diagnoses. The researchers observed an association between a lower risk for developing pediatric-onset IBD and an increase in the interquartile range of residential greenspace (hazard ratio, 0.77). This association was significant for ulcerative colitis and Crohn disease (hazard ratios, 0.72 and 0.81, respectively). Across increasing quartiles of greenspace, there was a linear dose response. No consistent association was seen between maternal intrapartum greenspace exposure and pediatric-onset IBD.
“Greenspace is an emerging area in environmental health research, and this study is the first to investigate and report its protective effect with IBD,” the authors write.
Historically redlined neighborhoods are more likely to lack greenspace today
Copyright © 2020 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Exposure to greenspace linked to lower risk for pediatric-onset IBD (2021, February 26)
retrieved 27 February 2021
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
- Diabetes In Youth - June 14, 2021
- Diabesity: The dreadful combination of diabetes and obesity - June 1, 2021
- क्यों जरूरी है स्वास्थ्य बीमा - May 24, 2021
- Diabetic Foot: Do Not Ignore It! - May 24, 2021
- Health risks of tobacco consumption and ways to quit smoking - May 17, 2021
- Eminem – Stronger Than I Was - May 12, 2021
- Dj Dark – Chill Vibes - May 12, 2021
- Leona Lewis – Bleeding Love (Dj Dark & Adrian Funk Remix) - May 12, 2021
- Silicon Valley Guru Affected by the Fulminant Slashed - May 12, 2021
- Watch Awesome Kate Go Full Cooking Pro in England this Week - May 12, 2021