New Delhi: As per a new research, the first successful caesarean section birth in which both the mother and child survived may have taken in 1337 in Prague, claim researchers.
Beatrice of Bourbon, the second wife and second cousin of John the Blind, King of Bohemia and Count of Luxembourg, gave birth to her only child, Duke Wenceslaus I on February 25 in 1337.
According to archival documents found by the researchers, Beatrice, a teenage queen consort, had a difficult labour.
“Beatrice most likely passed out during delivery, and was believed dead,” said Antonin Parizek of Charles University in Czech Republic.
“The surgeons opened her only to save and baptise the child. The pain from the operation then likely led to her awakening,” said Parizek.
At that point, shock may have saved her life by keeping her from bleeding excessively, he said.
Prague in the 14th century was a centre of European learning, and the royal court of Bohemia would have employed the leading doctors of the time, researchers said.
Beatrice recovered from the surgery and lived 46 more years.
In a Flemish rhyming chronicle likely written by a diplomat at court, the author wrote ‘the duke was taken from his mother’s body and the wound healed,'” Parizek told ‘The New York Times’.
Other archival sources described Beatrice “being opened up without dying,” Parizek said.
“The event must have been truly uncommon, as information on the medical state of royals was not made public in those times,” he added.
Before this study, the earliest documented case was in Switzerland in 1500.
- South African regulator rejects Russia’s COVID-19 vaccine - October 20, 2021
- Second wave of pandemic not receded yet, third wave feared post-Diwali: Maha health minister - October 20, 2021
- WHO chief discusses Covaxin, resumption of AstraZeneca vaccine supplies to COVAX facility with Health Minister Mandaviya - October 20, 2021
- Trivitron Healthcare in collaboration with Diagon- Vanguard Diagnostics launches Diagon’s Coagulation range in India - October 20, 2021
- Breast cancer early detection, screening, and management – what we need to know - October 20, 2021
- WHO’s technical advisory group to meet on Oct 26 to consider Covaxin - October 19, 2021
- 163 oxygen plants set up in MP after shortage during 2nd COVID-19 wave: CM Shivraj Singh Chouhan - October 19, 2021
- India’s R-value below 1 since September, researchers say - October 19, 2021
- Mumbai: Double vaccine jab not mandatory to enter theatres, colleges to reopen with 50% attendance - October 19, 2021
- Daily exercise routine, balanced diet, active lifestyle & quality sleep key to success in personal & professional lives: Experts - October 19, 2021