France’s health minister said Sunday that more than 50,000 doses of the coronavirus vaccine from US-based Moderna, newly authorised in Europe, would be ready for use this week in hard-hit regions.
Olivier Veran told Europe 1 radio that after arriving in France Monday, the vaccine would be sent to towns and cities with the highest virus circulation, from Strasbourg on the German border to Nice on the Mediterranean.
Coming on top of ongoing distribution of Pfizer-BioNTech shots, the Moderna doses would reach vaccination centres by Wednesday, Veran added.
The health ministry said in a statement that almost eight million doses of Moderna’s vaccine would arrive in France by July.
Like the Pfizer-BioNTech jab, it takes two injections spaced out over several weeks for Moderna’s version to reach maximum effectiveness.
It poses fewer logistical challenges however as it requires storage only at -20 Celsius (-4 Fahrenheit) rather than around -80C for Pfizer-BioNTech’s vaccine.
After fierce criticism of the government for a halting start to its campaign, Veran said that by the end of the weekend over 100,000 people would have been vaccinated.
Neighbouring Germany has already topped half a million, while Britain says it is injecting 200,000 per day.
Follow the latest news on the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak
© 2021 AFP
France says first Moderna vaccine doses to arrive Monday (2021, January 10)
retrieved 10 January 2021
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
- स्वच्छता अभियान के अच्छे परिणाम प्राप्त हुए हैं : श्री सखलेचा - January 18, 2021
- UK aims to give 1st COVID-19 shot to all adults by September - January 18, 2021
- कोरोना से बचाव की सावधानियों को न छोड़ें - January 18, 2021
- UK mulls enforced hotel quarantine for all travellers - January 18, 2021
- अमरपाटन और रामनगर को स्वच्छता के मामले में प्रदेशभर में पहचान दिलायें - January 18, 2021
- Pfizer reassures Europe over coronavirus vaccines as pandemic surges - January 18, 2021
- बिजली कंपनी के जोन स्तर पर हेल्प डेस्क सुविधा प्रारंभ - January 18, 2021
- Europe vaccine rollout shifts up a gear as supply worries linger - January 18, 2021
- पर्यटन मंत्री सुश्री ठाकुर ने संवाद-सत्र में भागीदारी की - January 17, 2021
- पर्यटन मंत्री सुश्री ठाकुर ने किये केरल के साथ टूरिज्म एमओयू पर हस्ताक्षर - January 17, 2021