Germany registered a record number of deaths from COVID-19 on Wednesday, the first day of a new partial lockdown to try and cope with a surge in infections.
A total of 952 people died in the previous 24 hours, according to the Robert Koch Institute disease control centre.
It said 27,728 new coronavirus cases were registered, a figure close to the daily record of nearly 30,000 infections reported on Friday.
The previous daily record for fatalities was also reached Friday, when almost 600 people were reported to have died as the number of those in intensive care in the country reached alarming levels.
Some 83 percent of intensive care beds in hospitals were occupied on Wednesday, the Interdisciplinary Association for Intensive Care and Emergency Medicine (DIVI) said.
The latest figures come as a new partial lockdown was imposed, with non-essential shops and schools closed in a bid to halt an “exponential growth” in infections.
The restrictions will apply until January 10, with companies also urged to allow employees to work from home or to offer extended company holiday.
The new measures were agreed by Chancellor Angela Merkel with regional leaders of Germany’s 16 states on Sunday.
Europe’s largest economy had coped relatively well with the first wave in the spring but it has struggled to contain a resurgence in recent months.
Follow the latest news on the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak
© 2020 AFP
Germany sees record death toll on first day of new lockdown (2020, December 16)
retrieved 16 December 2020
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
- Biden Unveils $1.9 Trillion Coronavirus ‘Rescue’ Plan - January 15, 2021
- स्वच्छ प्राकृतिक ईंधन के उपयोग से होगा पर्यावरण स्वच्छ- खाद्य मंत्री श्री सिंह - January 15, 2021
- What Shoes Work Best With Arthritic Knees? - January 15, 2021
- Inhibiting KGA-dependent glutaminolysis in mice found to eliminate senescent cells - January 15, 2021
- Aurobindo Pharma Limited Urgent Hiring for Quality Control Department Apply Now - January 15, 2021
- I Am Not a Soldier, but I Have Been Trained to Kill - January 15, 2021
- रहटगाँव की पोल्ट्री में बर्डफ्लू वायरस मिला - January 15, 2021
- Can Gastroenteritis Cause a High White Blood Cell Count? - January 15, 2021
- The backlog in mammograms during the COVID-19 pandemic - January 15, 2021
- मुख्यमंत्री श्री चौहान ने थल सेना दिवस पर जांबाज सैनिकों को नमन किया - January 15, 2021