Know the right toothbrush:
Select soft bristle toothbrush always. It should not hurt your gums while brushing
Toothbrushes should be changed 3 to 4 times a year
Buy the right size toothbrush for the kids
Kids and people with braces may need to use special toothbrushes. Discuss with your dentist.
People with arthritis may find it difficult to hold the toothbrush. Select the ones which are easier
for them to hold.
This World oral health day, let’s take a pledge to make modifications to our habits that can help in
keeping the teeth healthier and stronger.
Make sure you brush your teeth regularly but not aggressively Brushing your teeth twice daily is a habit that was imbibed since childhood. Brushing your teeth for 2-3 minutes covering all the parts can put away oral issues like cavities, bad breath and other issues. However, using a hard-bristled toothbrush can cause damage to the enamel
as well as the gums.
Protect your teeth from injury Wear a full-face helmet or mouthguard when playing sports, or riding a bike to avoid any kind of injury to the teeth.
Use toothpaste that contains fluoride Fluoride comes from an element in the earth’s soil known as fluorine. Experts believe that fluoride prevents cavities, and it is a common ingredient in toothpaste as well as mouthwash.
Using fluoride-based toothpaste promotes enamel health by hardening it making your teeth more durable and decay-free
Avoid using your teeth for anything other than chewing food It is important to use teeth only to chew food. Using your teeth to crack nuts, remove bottle tops or rip open packaging, you risk chipping or even breaking your teeth in that process.
Be gentle while flossing your teeth Flossing is an important part of cleansing your mouth. But it is important to guide the floss between your teeth using a rubbing motion. Do not snap the floss into your gums. When the floss reaches your gum line, make sure to curve it against one tooth, making a ‘C’ shape.
Keep your equipment clean Make sure to rinse your toothbrush with water after you brush your teeth. Store your
toothbrush in an upright position and allow it to air-dry until you use it the next time. Try to keep it away from other toothbrushes in the same holder to avoid cross-contamination.
Wash your mouth thoroughly Make sure to rinse your mouth after eating food. The process will help in fighting against plaque formation in the mouth.
Make sure to use a mouth wash Using a good mouth wash can help fight a lot of bacteria present in our mouth and cleanse it thoroughly. It can also control acids that can damage the tooth’s enamel.
See your dentist for regular check-ups Make an effort to visit the dentist at least once in six months. Not only will they be able to remove tartar from your teeth, but they will also be able to check for symptoms of cavities,
gum disease, and other dental problems.
Avoid consuming or smoking too much caffeine. People who smoke or consume caffeine are much more likely to develop tartar on their teeth, which contributes to gum disease. It also weakens the immune system and makes it
harder for the body to fight off the infection.
Moreover, smoking also increases your risk of oral cancer. Make sure you remember these dental
health essentials and you will be able to maintain healthy gums and teeth without any problem. If
anything, keep in mind that it is never too late to improve your oral health!
- Molbio’s Nipah test kit gets DCGI approval - September 9, 2021
- 61 test negative for Nipah so far: Kerala Health Minister Veena George - September 9, 2021
- RT-PCR accounted for over 70 percent tests conducted in Delhi in last five months - September 9, 2021
- Punjab govt to open 300 new Opioid Assisted Treatment centres to tackle drug addiction - September 9, 2021
- Over five crore people vaccinated in Madhya Pradesh so far - September 9, 2021
- BMC issues new Ganpati festival norms – No pandal darshan, curbs on yatra participants across Mumbai - September 8, 2021
- Early screening & risk assessment through breakthrough technologies - September 8, 2021
- 30 test negative for Nipah so far: Kerala Health Minister Veena George - September 8, 2021
- 88 oxygen generation plants functional in MP, says CM Shivraj Singh Chouhan - September 8, 2021
- Efforts grow to stamp out use of parasite drug for COVID-19 - September 8, 2021