The Income Tax Department has issued a notification allowing hospitals and nursing homes to accept cash payments of Rs 2 lakh and more for the treatment of COVID-19 patients. The Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT), which frames policy for the department, issued the notification on Friday.
It said hospitals, dispensaries, nursing homes, COVID care centres or similar other medical facilities providing COVID-19 treatment to patients are being “specified for the purpose of section 269ST of the Income Tax Act”.
This section restricts any person from receiving an amount of Rs 2 lakh or more in cash, from a person in a day, in respect of a single transaction or in respect of transactions relating to one event or occasion from a person.
It was introduced by the Union government in 2017 as a measure to curb black money.
The notification said the latest provision is being made for a period between April 1-May 31 “on obtaining the PAN or Aadhaar of the patient and the payee and the relationship between the patient and the payee” by such hospitals or COVID care centres.
Officials said the move was aimed to remove the hardship being faced by relatives and caregivers of COVID-19 patients who visit hospitals for treatment.
The country is grappling with the onslaught of a massive COVID-19 wave with a record 4,187 deaths and 4,01,078 new infections being reported in a span of 24 hours, according to the Union health ministry data updated on Saturday.
- Scientists developing low-cost, saliva-based COVID-19 test inspired by glucose test strips for diabetes - June 18, 2021
- Over 2.58 crore COVID-19 vaccine doses still available with states: Centre - June 18, 2021
- Bharat Biotech’s pre-submission meeting for Covaxin EUL with WHO on June 23 - June 18, 2021
- WHO warns of fresh Indonesia surge fed by virus variants - June 17, 2021
- Anvidha Technologies Private Limited launches its highly anticipated Eyewear Platform - June 16, 2021
- Chingari announces ‘Chingari World Music Day Concert’ aiming at raising money for COVID Relief fund - June 16, 2021
- Inorbit Mall Whitefield vaccinates over 458 retail partners & staffs under the #InorbitCares initiative - June 16, 2021
- Physiotherapy plays a vital role in COVID 19 recovery - June 15, 2021
- Centre to provide over 96,490 Covid vaccine doses to states, UTs in next 3 days - June 15, 2021
- Over 25.87 crore Covid vaccine doses administered in India - June 15, 2021