Below are newsworthy items compiled by HealthDay staff:
WHO Team Seeks to Pinpoint Source of Coronavirus
A World Health Organization team of experts will examine samples and medical data from China to try to find out where the new coronavirus first made the leap from animals to people.
Most experts believe the SARS-CoV-2 virus originated in animals in China, probably bats, the Associated Press reported.
The objective of the 10-person WHO team is to gather information to better prepare for possible future outbreaks, according to team member Fabian Leendertz, a German biologist who specializes in emerging diseases.
“It’s really not about finding a guilty country,” Leendertz told the AP. “It’s about trying to understand what happened and then see if based on those data, we can try to reduce the risk in the future.”
Leendertz’ team is already talking with scientists in China and expects to travel there in January. They will likely start in Wuhan, where the outbreak was first reported, though a precise itinerary hasn’t yet been set, Leendertz said.
Tracking down the animal in which the virus emerged will be key, so the group will take samples of further bat species and other animals that might harbor it, Leendertz added.
Leendertz said the team has not been informed of any restrictions on their work in China beyond the typical two-week quarantine. In total, the mission is expected to last four to five weeks.
© 2020 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Posted: December 2020
Further Support and Information on COVID-19
More News Resources
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Whatever your topic of interest, subscribe to our newsletters to get the best of Drugs.com in your inbox.
- होशंगाबाद जिला प्रशासन की बड़ी कार्रवाई - January 17, 2021
- Pfizer, BioNTech to limit delays of vaccine shipments to one week - January 17, 2021
- निर्वाचन आयोग ने फोटोयुक्त मतदाता सूची का अन्तिम प्रकाशन किया - January 17, 2021
- Serbia gets Chinese-made Sinopharm jabs - January 17, 2021
- सीवरेज परियोजनाओं का कार्य तीव्र गति से किया जाए - January 17, 2021
- Graft Versus Host Disease (GVHD): Symptoms, Treatment & Prognosis - January 17, 2021
- Study finds COVID isolation worsens student diets, inactivity, and alcohol intake - January 17, 2021
- रोजगारोन्मुखी योजनाओं से जोड़कर दिव्यांगजन को आत्मनिर्भर बनाएं - January 16, 2021
- India starts huge vaccine drive as global virus deaths top 2 million - January 16, 2021
- श्री सारंग ने वैक्सीन लगवाने वाले लोगों की हौसला अफजाई की - January 16, 2021