Here are some of the latest health and medical news developments, compiled by the editors of HealthDay:
U.S. Abortion Pill Rule Should be Suspended During Pandemic: Lawsuit
A U.S. government rule that requires women to visit a hospital, clinic or medical office to get the abortion pill mifepristone should be suspended during the coronavirus pandemic, according to a lawsuit filed by the American Civil Liberties Union on behalf of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists and other groups.
The lawsuit against the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services says the rule needlessly puts women’s health at risk and that they should able to fill prescriptions for the drug by mail, the Associated Press reported.
“Of the more than 20,000 drugs regulated by the FDA, mifepristone is the only one that patients must receive in person at a hospital, clinic or medical office, yet may self-administer, unsupervised, at a location of their choosing,” according to the federal lawsuit filed in Maryland.
Mifepristone is approved by the FDA to be used in combination with a second drug, misoprostol, to end an early pregnancy or manage a miscarriage.
© 2020 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Posted: May 2020
More News Resources
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Whatever your topic of interest, subscribe to our newsletters to get the best of Drugs.com in your inbox.
- COVID case rates hit new high for England, study finds - April 7, 2022
- Govt’s focus on affordable healthcare ensured significant savings for poor, middle class: PM Modi - April 7, 2022
- SRL Diagnostics and Skye Air Mobility collaborate to transport pathology samples using drone logistics - April 6, 2022
- Healthineers sets up new production line of CT scanners in Bengaluru under PLI scheme - April 6, 2022
- Lupin inks licensing pact with Alvion to market drugs in Southeast Asia - April 6, 2022
- Yoga Mahotsav: Ayush Ministry to organise event to demonstrate common yoga on World Health Day - April 6, 2022
- LordsMed forays into the medtech space with launch of health ATMs ‘Lords Sehat’ - April 5, 2022
- ‘Friendly viruses’ can be the next big thing in the history of medical research and more - April 5, 2022
- No setback to Bharat Biotech even as WHO suspends Covaxin UN supply: Sources - April 4, 2022
- Govt panel recommends Serum’s Covovax dose for kids aged 12 and above - April 4, 2022