Below are newsworthy items compiled by the HealthDay staff:
British Prime Minister Boris Johnson Isolates After COVID Exposure
British Prime Minister Boris Johnson is isolating after possible exposure to the new coronavirus.
Johnson “is well and does not have any symptoms of COVID-19,” and will continue working from Downing Street, according to a statement from his office, the Associated Press reported.
On Sunday, the National Health Service’s Test and Trace system told Johnson that he’d been in contact with someone who had tested positive for the coronavirus. That occurred at a meeting with a small group of lawmakers on Thursday.
Johnson was told he should self-isolate due to the length of the meeting and other factors, the AP reported.
This is not Johnson’s first brush with COVID-19: He was infected last April and spent three days in intensive care in the hospital.
Pfizer Coronavirus Vaccine Could Cut Transmission by Half: Company Executive
BioNTech and Pfizer’s experimental coronavirus vaccine could cut transmission of the virus in half, leading to a “dramatic” curb of its spread, according to a company executive.
“I’m very confident that transmission between people will be reduced by such a highly effective vaccine — maybe not 90% but maybe 50%,” said Ugur Sahin, chief executive of Germany’s BioNTech, the Associated Press reported.
Last week, the companies claimed the vaccine was 90% effective in protecting people from the new coronavirus.
“If everything continues to go well, we will start to deliver the vaccine end of this year, beginning next year,” Sahin said. “Our goal is to deliver more than 300 million of vaccine doses until April next year, which could allow us to already start to make an impact.”
Researchers are gathering more information on safety and manufacturing quality of the vaccine, the AP reported.
© 2020 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Posted: November 2020
Further Support and Information on COVID-19
- Essential Eye-Care Tips For A Safe Diwali - October 27, 2021
- Mansukh Mandaviya to hold meeting with state health ministers - October 27, 2021
- COVID-19: Kerala logs 7,163 new cases, 482 deaths - October 27, 2021
- Govt plans to invest Rs 100 cr per district to upgrade healthcare infra - October 27, 2021
- COVID-19: Active cases drop to 74,735 in Kerala - October 26, 2021
- Ayushman Bharat Health Infrastructure Mission: Everything you must know about ‘India’s largest health infra scheme’ - October 26, 2021
- Moderna to supply Africa with up to 110 million COVID doses - October 26, 2021
- India committed to supplying COVID-19 vaccines to other nations - October 25, 2021
- Mamata Banerjee asks people to wear mask to prevent spike in Covid cases - October 25, 2021
- Dengue cases in Delhi cross 1,000-mark; over 280 fresh cases in one week - October 25, 2021