U.S. Adult Vaping Rate Rises, Smoking Rate Remains Same
The rate of smoking among American adults seems to have leveled off, while vaping appears to be on the rise, a new survey from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention shows.
It found that about 14% (34 million) of adults smoked cigarettes in 2019, the same rate as in 2017 and 2018. The rate was 16% in 2016, the Associated Press reported.
About 4.5% (11 million) of adults were current e-cigarette users in 2019, compared with 3.2% in 2018 and 2.8% in 2017.
The CDC noted that for both smoking and vaping rates, changes in survey methodology make it difficult to compare 2019 with previous years, the AP reported.
Overnight Curfew Imposed in California
Most California residents will face an overnight curfew as the state struggles to control rapidly rising numbers of coronavirus cases.
Starting Saturday, people not working essential jobs will be required to stay home from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. under an order that’s scheduled to last until Dec. 21. It could be extended if the coronavirus situation doesn’t improve, the Associated Press reported.
The curfew will be implemented in the 41 of the state’s 58 counties with the largest increases in virus cases, and will affect 94% of California’s nearly 40 million residents.
“The virus is spreading at a pace we haven’t seen since the start of this pandemic, and the next several days and weeks will be critical to stop the surge. We are sounding the alarm,” Gov. Gavin Newsom said in a statement.
A few days ago, California imposed tighter restrictions on businesses in the 41 counties, the AP reported.
© 2020 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Posted: November 2020
- COVID case rates hit new high for England, study finds - April 7, 2022
- Govt’s focus on affordable healthcare ensured significant savings for poor, middle class: PM Modi - April 7, 2022
- SRL Diagnostics and Skye Air Mobility collaborate to transport pathology samples using drone logistics - April 6, 2022
- Healthineers sets up new production line of CT scanners in Bengaluru under PLI scheme - April 6, 2022
- Lupin inks licensing pact with Alvion to market drugs in Southeast Asia - April 6, 2022
- Yoga Mahotsav: Ayush Ministry to organise event to demonstrate common yoga on World Health Day - April 6, 2022
- LordsMed forays into the medtech space with launch of health ATMs ‘Lords Sehat’ - April 5, 2022
- ‘Friendly viruses’ can be the next big thing in the history of medical research and more - April 5, 2022
- No setback to Bharat Biotech even as WHO suspends Covaxin UN supply: Sources - April 4, 2022
- Govt panel recommends Serum’s Covovax dose for kids aged 12 and above - April 4, 2022