Bhopal: In wake of huge number of samples of suspected cases of Zika virus infection being sent to AIIMS, Bhopal, the health department on Tuesday instructed that all samples would be sent for testing through chief medical and health officer (CMHO) of the district.
A Union health ministry team led by health secretary Manoj Jhalani also visited affected areas on Tuesday to take stock of the situation.
The decision to send samples through CMHO was taken as the AIIMS laboratory has capacity to test 100 samples in a day.
Samples of only those patients who are suffering from fever for less than seven days and have red spots on the body would be collected and sent. Also, samples of only three-month pregnant women would be collected.
Health ministry team in city to take stock as Zika spreads
Meanwhile, 17 samples of suspected cases of Zika were sent for testing on Tuesday. Of them, seven patients are from Bhopal and rest are from other districts of Madhya Pradesh. Reporting of cases that have tested positive in last two days has been stopped due to absence of incharge of the laboratory at AIIMS.
On the other hand, tests of Zika virus could not be performed at the virology laboratory of Hamidia Hospital due to lack of kits. It is expected that Hamidia Hospital would be able to provide this facility within couple of days.
Large number of samples being sent to AIIMS
CM chairs meeting for ground situation •Chief minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan on Tuesday reviewed the status of Zika virus in state. Senior officials of health department were present at the meeting.
•Shivraj reviewed departmental preparations and instructed to further strengthen the implementation of the scheme for containment of Zika virus.
•It was told at the meeting that not a single death has been reported till date due to Zika virus. Arrangements have been made for examination of even ordinary fever in all districts.
•Fogging is being done by municipal corporation for safety from mosquitoes. Lab facility has been strengthened to check for the virus in district hospitals and early detection. Health department is in touch with virology institute, Pune.
Situation in MP
•The virus has infected 109 people, of which 34 are pregnant women, the officials said.
•People have tested positive for Zika in seven districts of MP. This includes 44 cases that were reported from Bhopal, 20 from Sehore, 29 from Vidisha, two each from Sagar and Hoshangabad, and one each from Narsinghpur and Raisen.
•In MP, an intensive screening exercise is being undertaken and vector control measures have been intensified. The government has also issued an advisory to districts to check mosquito breeding.
- COVID case rates hit new high for England, study finds - April 7, 2022
- Govt’s focus on affordable healthcare ensured significant savings for poor, middle class: PM Modi - April 7, 2022
- SRL Diagnostics and Skye Air Mobility collaborate to transport pathology samples using drone logistics - April 6, 2022
- Healthineers sets up new production line of CT scanners in Bengaluru under PLI scheme - April 6, 2022
- Lupin inks licensing pact with Alvion to market drugs in Southeast Asia - April 6, 2022
- Yoga Mahotsav: Ayush Ministry to organise event to demonstrate common yoga on World Health Day - April 6, 2022
- LordsMed forays into the medtech space with launch of health ATMs ‘Lords Sehat’ - April 5, 2022
- ‘Friendly viruses’ can be the next big thing in the history of medical research and more - April 5, 2022
- No setback to Bharat Biotech even as WHO suspends Covaxin UN supply: Sources - April 4, 2022
- Govt panel recommends Serum’s Covovax dose for kids aged 12 and above - April 4, 2022