FRIDAY, July 3, 2020 — People with HIV who were hospitalized with COVID-19 didn’t have worse results than COVID-19 patients without HIV, new research shows.
“Throughout the pandemic, we’ve suspected that immunocompromised patients, such as those with HIV, could be at a higher risk for infection and suffer more severe outcomes, but without data on how COVID-19 affects patients with HIV specifically, clinical guidance for managing and advising these patients has been lacking,” said study author Dr. Keith Sigel. He’s a member of the Mount Sinai COVID Informatics Center at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, in New York City.
People with a weakened immune system often have worse outcomes when they develop serious infections. HIV is one of the most common causes of immunodeficiency in the world and affects more than one million people in the United States.
For the study, researchers compared COVID-19 patients with and without HIV at five hospitals in the Mount Sinai Health System in New York City. The patients were assessed at the peak of the pandemic in the city during March and April.
Death rates and poor outcomes — such as respiratory failure or multiorgan dysfunction — were high among patients with HIV, but no worse than among those without HIV, the researchers found.
The patients with HIV did not have evidence of significant immune suppression or elevated HIV viral levels, according to the study published June 28 in the journal Clinical Infectious Diseases.
This study adds to existing limited evidence that HIV may not be associated with more severe COVID-19 symptoms, the researchers said.
“This study sets the foundation for future studies in larger cohorts so we can appropriately address treating COVID-19 in patients with HIV,” Sigel said in a Mount Sinai news release.
© 2020 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Posted: July 2020
- फटे होठों से हैं परेशान, सिर्फ सर्दी से नहीं इन 5 अनजान कारणों से होती है ये समस्या - October 28, 2020
- Researchers find confusion over masks for wildfire, COVID-19 crises - October 28, 2020
- EVERTOGEN life Sciences Operator executive in Production Walk in on 31 oct and 1st nov 2020 - October 28, 2020
- FDC Limited Hiring BPharma Mpharma for Assistant Manager QA - October 28, 2020
- तरबूज, अलसी और खरबूजे के बीज के बिना आपका डाइट प्लान है अधूरा, जानिये इनके फायदे और इस्तेमाल का तरीका - October 28, 2020
- Venclexta (venetoclax) - October 28, 2020
- Divided Belgium turns into Europe’s worst virus hot spot - October 28, 2020
- 200 mn Covid vaccine doses pledged for ‘equitable’ use - October 28, 2020
- Need to Pee? Scientists May Have Found the Gene for That - October 28, 2020
- Governor bans indoor dining in Chicago as virus cases surge - October 28, 2020