Oxygen is essential to all life forms, even viruses.
Oxygen is fundamental to all cells, impacting key functions such as metabolism and growth. Our cellular response to oxygen levels is tightly regulated and one important pathway is controlled by the Hypoxia Inducible Factors (HIFs), that activate certain genes under low oxygen conditions (hypoxia) to promote cell survival. Drugs that activate HIF are currently in use to treat anemia caused by kidney disease.
The novel coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 needs no introduction and literally stopped the world in 2020, with more than 2 million fatalities to date. A defining feature of severe COVID-19 disease is low oxygen levels throughout the body, which may lead to organ failure and death. A cure for this virus is urgently needed.
Dr. Peter Wing and Dr. Tom Keeley, working in the laboratories of Prof Jane McKeating, Prof Peter Ratcliffe and Dr. Tammie Bishop in the Nuffield Department of Clinical Medicine, discovered that a low oxygen environment supressed SARS-CoV-2 entry into cells that line the lungs and reduced viral propagation and shedding.
Importantly, drugs that activate HIF such as Roxadustat had a similar effect on the virus. This study provides the first evidence for repurposing HIF mimetics that could reduce SARS-CoV-2 transmission and disease development. The oxygen dependency of this virus is a new vulnerability that we could exploit.
Research continues to expand our understanding of the interplay between oxygen sensing and COVID-19 and is published in Cell Reports.
Can viruses hijack their hosts’ circadian rhythms?
Peter AC. Wing et al. Hypoxic and pharmacological activation of HIFs inhibits SARS-CoV-2 infection of lung epithelial cells, Cell Reports (2021). DOI: 10.1016/j.celrep.2021.109020
Oxford Science Blog
Hypoxia drugs join the fight against COVID-19 (2021, April 13)
retrieved 13 April 2021
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
- Life expectancy in India dropped by two years due to COVID-19: Study - October 23, 2021
- US’ work with India on vaccine manufacturing saving people’s lives, says DFC chief - October 23, 2021
- Bengal reports steady Covid surge for third consecutive day - October 23, 2021
- Sri Lanka gives booster shots to front-line workers - October 23, 2021
- 3 children die of dengue in Uttar Pradesh - October 23, 2021
- India is close to turning the pandemic tide: Poonawalla - October 21, 2021
- Covishield may offer over 90% protection against death from Delta variant: Study - October 21, 2021
- PM Modi congratulated health workers on vaccinating 100 crore India’s population - October 21, 2021
- South African regulator rejects Russia’s COVID-19 vaccine - October 20, 2021
- Second wave of pandemic not receded yet, third wave feared post-Diwali: Maha health minister - October 20, 2021