The Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) has allowed testing on-demand for Covid-19 even as it has allowed states to adapt to the recommendation as per their requirements. “ICMR’s advisory is generic in nature and may be modified as per the discretion of state health authorities,” said the national research agency in its advisory.
The advisory came after the Delhi high court asked the state government to re-strategise its policy to include asymptomatic patients for testing. ICMR told the court it is just an advisory body and states were free to make changes as per their needs.
Rapid antigen testing (RAT) is the preferred strategy for screening in Covid-19 containment zones. People with influenza-like illnesses, all direct and high-risk contacts (family members, colleagues, those above 65, immunocompromised, or have conditions such as diabetes, hypertension, or heart, kidney, and lung diseases), are required to be screened.
The new strategy lists situations where molecular testing such as reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) should be preferred over the cheaper and faster but less accurate RAT. “Ideally, it is suggested that 100% of people living in the containment zones should be tested by RAT particularly in cities where there has been a widespread transmission of the infection,” say ICMR guidelines.
In non-containment areas, the ICMR strategy suggests that preference should be given to molecular methods to test all those with influenza-like symptoms, all symptomatic contacts of confirmed cases, and all asymptomatic high-risk contacts. Testing methods like RT-PCR should also be used for routine surveillance of all symptomatic travellers within seven days of illness and healthcare or frontline workers involved in Covid-19 management.
The ICMR strategy says that molecular tests should be preferred over RAT within hospitals for testing those with severe acute respiratory infections, all patients with influenza-like symptoms, all asymptomatic high-risk contacts in need of hospitalisation, asymptomatic patients undergoing surgery or other invasive procedures, and all pregnant women in or near labour.
- FDC Limited Hiring BPharma Mpharma for Assistant Manager QA - October 28, 2020
- तरबूज, अलसी और खरबूजे के बीज के बिना आपका डाइट प्लान है अधूरा, जानिये इनके फायदे और इस्तेमाल का तरीका - October 28, 2020
- Venclexta (venetoclax) - October 28, 2020
- Divided Belgium turns into Europe’s worst virus hot spot - October 28, 2020
- 200 mn Covid vaccine doses pledged for ‘equitable’ use - October 28, 2020
- Need to Pee? Scientists May Have Found the Gene for That - October 28, 2020
- Governor bans indoor dining in Chicago as virus cases surge - October 28, 2020
- Torrent Pharma Limited Urgently Opening for Technology Transfer Apply Now - October 28, 2020
- LINCOLN PHARMACEUTICALS LIMITED WalkIn Interviews for Fresher and Experienced in Production QA ADL R and D on 1st Nov 2020 - October 28, 2020
- British Safety Council Offers Robust 'Return to Work' COVID-19 Protocol - October 28, 2020