Irish health officials are investigating four stillbirths potentially linked to COVID-19, the Republic’s deputy chief medical officer said Thursday.
Ronan Glynn said officials have been “made aware of four preliminary reports of stillbirths potentially associated with a condition called COVID Placentitis”.
Glynn told reporters in Dublin that coroners had reported the cases, in which pregnant women have tested positive for the coronavirus and subsequently suffered stillbirths.
The cause of the stillbirth in such cases is infection of the placenta, he said.
Glynn cautioned that “further work needs to be done” before the findings can be confirmed.
“I can’t give too much detail because there’s not too much more details to give at this point,” he said.
Ireland has suffered 4,396 deaths from the coronavirus pandemic according to latest official figures.
The nation is currently in the midst of its third lockdown after suffering the highest rate of infection per capita in the world in early January.
Follow the latest news on the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak
© 2021 AFP
Ireland investigates stillbirths linked to COVID-19 (2021, March 4)
retrieved 4 March 2021
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
- Have Allergies? See If You’re at Risk for Severe COVID Vaccine Reaction - April 23, 2021
- A new method for fighting ‘cold’ tumors - April 23, 2021
- Mind Beauty on Why It's Harder to Wear a Mask in the Heat but Important Nonetheless - April 23, 2021
- Elevations RTC Highlights An Inclusive Campus Life - April 23, 2021
- The ThinOptics Vision Visionary: Gadi PontÃ - April 23, 2021
- A Plus From the Pandemic: Fewer Kids Using E-Cigarettes - April 23, 2021
- Double down on health and fitness with Garmin’s Venu 2 Series GPS smartwatch - April 23, 2021
- कोरोना संक्रमण चेन को तोड़ने में सहयोग करें जन-प्रतिनिधि: मुख्यमंत्री श्री चौहान - April 22, 2021
- Deepika Padukone’s 20-20-20 Fitness Mantra, Secret To Staying Slim Trim - April 22, 2021
- List of Top Pharma Companies in Chennai  - April 22, 2021