Irish health officials are investigating four stillbirths potentially linked to COVID-19, the Republic’s deputy chief medical officer said Thursday.
Ronan Glynn said officials have been “made aware of four preliminary reports of stillbirths potentially associated with a condition called COVID Placentitis”.
Glynn told reporters in Dublin that coroners had reported the cases, in which pregnant women have tested positive for the coronavirus and subsequently suffered stillbirths.
The cause of the stillbirth in such cases is infection of the placenta, he said.
Glynn cautioned that “further work needs to be done” before the findings can be confirmed.
“I can’t give too much detail because there’s not too much more details to give at this point,” he said.
Ireland has suffered 4,396 deaths from the coronavirus pandemic according to latest official figures.
The nation is currently in the midst of its third lockdown after suffering the highest rate of infection per capita in the world in early January.
Follow the latest news on the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak
© 2021 AFP
Ireland investigates stillbirths linked to COVID-19 (2021, March 4)
retrieved 4 March 2021
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
- Multivits, omega-3, probiotics, vitamin D may lessen risk of positive COVID-19 test - April 20, 2021
- Hormone Treatments May Raise Blood Pressure in Transgender People - April 20, 2021
- कोरोना संक्रमण की रोकथाम के लिये राज्य सरकार कोई कोर-कसर नहीं छोड़ेगी - April 20, 2021
- Cellular impact of ‘Heat not Burn’ products may be no less harmful than cigarettes - April 20, 2021
- Pandemic Stress Keeps Many From Exercising - April 20, 2021
- प्रदेश के 9 मेडिकल कॉलेज में लगेगी सीटी, एमआरआई मशीन - April 20, 2021
- Set up national registry to capture pharma company payments to clinicians and patient support groups - April 20, 2021
- Health Highlights, April 19, 2021 - April 20, 2021
- दवाएँ खरीदते समय उपभोक्ता करें अपने अधिकारों का उपयोग- प्रमुख सचिव श्री किदवई - April 20, 2021
- Scientists identify protein that could serve as a therapeutic target in lung cancer - April 20, 2021