Italy will reserve AstraZeneca’s vaccine for the over 60s following concerns of a link to blood clots in younger people, the government’s top adviser on the coronavirus crisis announced Wednesday.
The decision has been taken to “recommend the preferential use on individuals aged above 60”, Franco Locatelli told reporters.
His announcement came hours after the EU’s medicines regulator said that blood clots should be listed as a rare side effect of the jab—but insisted the benefits continue to outweigh the risks.
Locatelli was speaking at a hastily convened news conference to explain the implications for Italy, one of several European countries that suspended the use of the AstraZeneca/Oxford jab last month but resumed using it after the EMA ruled it was safe.
The World Health Organization’s vaccine experts on Wednesday echoed EMA’s latest findings, saying a causal relationship between the vaccine and blood clots was “plausible but is not confirmed”.
Locatelli, who coordinates the panel of experts that advises the Italian government on coronavirus, said the data on blood clots only pointed to a link for people receiving the first dose.
Wednesday’s decision did not amount to an outright ban on the use of the AstraZeneca jab on younger cohorts of people.
For example, Locatelli said there should be no problem for those under the age of 60 receiving their second and final dose of the vaccine.
Canada, France, Germany and the Netherlands are among several countries that are not recommending the AstraZeneca shot for younger people.
Follow the latest news on the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak
© 2021 AFP
Italy reserves AstraZeneca vaccine for over 60s (2021, April 7)
retrieved 7 April 2021
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
- A method to assess COVID-19 transmission risks in indoor settings - April 16, 2021
- Later School Start Times Mean Better-Rested Kids: Study - April 16, 2021
- हरदा में 26 अप्रैल तक रहेगा कोरोना कर्फ्यू - April 16, 2021
- Ten reasons why the coronavirus is airborne - April 16, 2021
- Your Zip Code Could Help or Harm Your Brain - April 16, 2021
- 10वीं और 12वीं के प्रवेश-पत्रों में 10 मई तक करा सकेंगे संशोधन - April 16, 2021
- Temporal link between medical cannabis for epilepsy and early puberty - April 16, 2021
- COVID Plus ‘Bleeding’ Stroke Doubles a Patient’s Death Risk - April 16, 2021
- खाद्य मंत्री श्री सिंह ने अनूपपुर में की कोरोना व्यवस्थाओं की समीक्षा - April 16, 2021
- Heavy energy drink consumption linked to heart failure in a young man - April 16, 2021