HONOLULU–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Local entrepreneur Lanai Tabura and Redefined Media co-owner Andrew Tran
have won an Emmy Award in the Lifestyle-Program/Special category for
their program Ramen
Yokocho at the 47th Annual Northern California Area Emmy Awards
that took place on Saturday, June 2nd, 2018.
Ramen Yokocho (yokocho means ‘alley’ in
Japanese) is about ramen restaurants found off the beaten path in
alleys. Show creators Lanai Tabura and Andrew Tran wanted to capture how
ramen came to the United States, and specifically how it came to be a
staple food here in Hawai’i. They explain to viewers the deep history of
ramen, the differences between saimin and ramen, and elaborate upon what
makes local style ramen stand apart. The documentary was filmed entirely
Yokocho in Hawaii, the first yokocho in the United States.
“We are very honored to receive such an award, and proud to have spread
knowledge of ramen with this film,” said Frank Clark, CEO and creator of
the Waikiki Yokocho concept. “Initially, Ramen Yokocho began as a
ramen-themed part of our local promotion efforts, and I’m incredibly
thrilled that it has won an Emmy Award.”
“Mahalo to Mr. Frank Clark of Waikiki Yokocho for giving us the
opportunity to showcase such great eateries,” said, Lanai Tabura, the
host of Cooking Hawaiian Style, a show airing in 250 cities
across the United States and in five other countries. “I have been doing
TV for a long time now, and it is truly awesome to be recognized for
something I loved creating!” Ramen Yokocho is his first show
as producer, writer and host. The Emmy Award is likewise his first.
“It’s still pretty surreal to me, but I’m extremely grateful to everyone
who made this possible,” said Andrew Tran, a 25-year-old creative
director who served as producer, director and editor of Ramen Yokocho.
“This is just the beginning. I can’t wait to show you guys what we have
been working on in the meanwhile!” His other works include videos and
commercials for Hawaiian Airlines, First Hawaiian Bank, Starwood Hotels,
Cutter Ford, Cutter Chevy and Ruby Tuesday. The Emmy Award is a first
for him as well.
The contributions of Frank Clark as executive producer, Yunji Denise as
writer, and everyone at the Oahu Media Group were also crucial to the
success of the project.
Filming of the second part of this yokocho filming project, Tokyo
Yokocho, has also been completed.
Yokocho is currently airing on Hawaiian Airlines flights.
About Waikiki Yokocho
Based on the dining alleys popular in Japan, Waikiki Yokocho is a
gourmet dining alley featuring a selection of 16 first-in-Hawaii
eateries. Located in the basement of Waikiki Shopping Plaza, the
23,000-square-foot space is sectioned into three distinct areas – Ramen
Road, Noren Street, and Engawa Terrace. Waikiki Yokocho opened in
December 2016. For more information, visit www.waikiki-yokocho.com.
About the Northern California Area Emmy Awards
The Annual Northern California Area Emmy Awards are presented for
outstanding achievement in television by The National Academy of
Television Arts & Sciences (NATAS), with San Francisco/Northern
California as one of the 19 chapters awarding regional Emmy statuettes.
For more information, visit https://emmysf.tv/
- COVID case rates hit new high for England, study finds - April 7, 2022
- Govt’s focus on affordable healthcare ensured significant savings for poor, middle class: PM Modi - April 7, 2022
- SRL Diagnostics and Skye Air Mobility collaborate to transport pathology samples using drone logistics - April 6, 2022
- Healthineers sets up new production line of CT scanners in Bengaluru under PLI scheme - April 6, 2022
- Lupin inks licensing pact with Alvion to market drugs in Southeast Asia - April 6, 2022
- Yoga Mahotsav: Ayush Ministry to organise event to demonstrate common yoga on World Health Day - April 6, 2022
- LordsMed forays into the medtech space with launch of health ATMs ‘Lords Sehat’ - April 5, 2022
- ‘Friendly viruses’ can be the next big thing in the history of medical research and more - April 5, 2022
- No setback to Bharat Biotech even as WHO suspends Covaxin UN supply: Sources - April 4, 2022
- Govt panel recommends Serum’s Covovax dose for kids aged 12 and above - April 4, 2022