Mexico said it aimed to vaccinate 90 percent of its population against the coronavirus by the end of 2021 after signing deals Tuesday worth $1.66 billion with major pharmaceutical companies.
Together with potential vaccines from a World Health Organization-backed program, the agreements with AstraZeneca, Pfizer and CanSinoBio could enable Mexico to vaccine up to 116 million people, the government said.
The country of around 128 million has officially registered 83,945 deaths from Covid-19, the world’s fourth-highest toll.
The vaccines, which are still undergoing clinical trials, are among dozens that researchers around the world are racing to prove safe and effective.
Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador told a news conference that vaccination would be made available “for the entire population free of charge.”
The program could start in December with the first batches from Pfizer of the United States and CanSinoBio of China, and last one year, according to Finance Minister Arturo Herrera.
Priority will be given to medical personnel and vulnerable groups.
Mexico has also signed up to the Covax mechanism, which is backed by the WHO and aims to facilitate poor countries’ access to coronavirus vaccines.
Mexico joins WHO coronavirus vaccine plan
© 2020 AFP
Mexico aims to vaccinate 90% of population by end of 2021 (2020, October 13)
retrieved 14 October 2020
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
- New blood cancer treatment works by selectively interfering with cancer cell signalling - October 22, 2020
- ClickHole Started as a Meat Joke. Can It Avoid Being Offal? - October 22, 2020
- New Canadian Bio-Economy Report Indicates Green Potential of Emerging Talent Markets - October 22, 2020
- खोजने वाले इतिहासकार” पर अन्तर्राष्ट्रीय वेबीनार 24 अक्टूबर को - October 22, 2020
- PreludeSys India Walk In 23rd Oct 2020 for Bsc BDS Bpharma Freshers and Experienced - October 22, 2020
- New Study 31/A5349 on the treatment of drug-susceptible TB - October 22, 2020
- What Is Breast Biopsy With Needle Localization? - October 22, 2020
- उषा ने एंटी-बैक्टीरियल स्टरलाइजेशन सिस्टम वाली वाटर हीटर रेन्ज लॉन्च की - October 22, 2020
- Czechs enter 2nd lockdown to avoid health system collapse - October 22, 2020
- The new abnormal: vulnerable patients hit by pharmacy closures - October 22, 2020