Mexico confirmed 947 more COVID-19 deaths Wednesday, the country’s second-highest daily toll since the coronavirus pandemic began. The highest daily toll came June 3 with 1,092 deaths.
The Health Department said the country has seen a total of 24,324 deaths so far.
The number of confirmed cases rose by 5,437. The case load has increased by about 5,000 each day in the last two weeks, and the total now stands at 186,847.
The numbers are clearly an undercount, given Mexico’s very low rate of testing.
Mexican officials have repeatedly predicted the peak of the pandemic had been reached, or would do so soon, only to be proved wrong.
The Health Department’s epidemiology director, José Luis Alomía, used almost comically couched language Wednesday, saying the country is on “a slight tendency that may insinuate a descent” in infections.
Because the case load continues so high, authorities have had to delay planned re-openings of theaters and concert halls.
One of Mexico City’s biggest venues, the Arena Mexico, announced Wednesday that it will start drive-in movie screenings starting July 4.
Mexico City once had drive-ins, but most closed years ago. One company resumed outdoor screenings in 2011.
Follow the latest news on the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak
© 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.
Mexico reports 947 more COVID deaths, 2nd highest daily toll (2020, June 25)
retrieved 25 June 2020
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
- Diet & Nutrition plan for a Head and Neck Cancer Patient - January 17, 2022
- COVID-19: HC urged to direct govt to give road map to vaccinate kids of 12 yrs and below - January 17, 2022
- 2,500 Delhi Police personnel infected, 767 cured of Covid since January 1 - January 17, 2022
- AstraZeneca vaccine trials show 3 doses give good protection against Omicron: Serum CEO - January 13, 2022
- Omicron Alert: FFD Launches Free Helpline For Diabetics - January 13, 2022
- Alkem Laboratories to Launch State of the Art Technology for Diabetic Foot Ulcer Management - January 13, 2022
- Metropolis Healthcare launches the 3rd edition of MedEngage Scholarship program to support aspiring young medical students - January 12, 2022
- Infections could surge 6 times higher due to omicron: Russia - January 12, 2022
- Makar Sankranti: Odisha bans religious gatherings; no holy dip at Haridwar - January 12, 2022
- Indonesia starts COVID boosters for elderly - January 12, 2022