Mexico’s coronavirus death toll has surpassed 150,000, the government said Monday, a day after President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador announced he had COVID-19.
The health ministry reported 659 more deaths in its daily update, taking the total to 150,273, behind only the United States, Brazil and India.
The overall number of infections registered now stands at more than 1.77 million in the nation of around 128 million, an increase of 8,521 from the previous day.
Lopez Obrador, 67, announced Sunday that he was undergoing treatment for COVID-19 but said his symptoms were mild.
The family of Mexican telecoms billionaire Carlos Slim, one of the world’s richest men, said Monday that the 80-year-old was also being treated for COVID-19 but has only minor symptoms.
Mexico City has been in a state of maximum alert since mid-December, with more than 90 percent of hospital beds full due to soaring infections. Non-essential activities have been suspended in the capital.
The country began mass immunization on December 24 using the vaccine developed by US drugs giant Pfizer and its German partner BioNTech, but it is constrained by limited supply.
On Monday Lopez Obrador said Mexico would acquire 24 million doses of Russia’s Sputnik V coronavirus vaccine, although it has yet to be approved by Mexican health regulators.
Follow the latest news on the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak
© 2021 AFP
Mexico’s coronavirus death toll passes 150,000 (2021, January 26)
retrieved 26 January 2021
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
- Testing kits can detect Omicron: Mylab - November 30, 2021
- Can RT-PCR tests detect Omicron variant infection? - November 30, 2021
- Moderna CEO warns COVID-19 shots less effective against Omicron, spooks markets - November 30, 2021
- Mandatory face masks in force as Omicron cases rise to 14 in UK - November 30, 2021
- Delhi: Seven Covid deaths in November - November 30, 2021
- 116 more test COVID positive at Karnataka’s medical college - November 26, 2021
- Slip Disc Surgery performed on awake patient - November 26, 2021
- Serum Institute resumes COVID-19 vaccine exports - November 26, 2021
- Mild third wave of COVID-19 pandemic likely in December: Maharashtra Health Minister Rajesh Tope - November 25, 2021
- Putin tests experimental nasal vaccine against COVID-19 - November 25, 2021