Health authorities across Europe have recorded more than a million coronavirus deaths as of 1830 GMT on Monday, according to a tally compiled by AFP from official sources.
In the region’s 52 countries and territories, stretching as far east as Azerbaijan and Russia, the death toll stands at least 1,000,288 dead, the highest of any global region.
According to the latest figures available, nearly 60 percent of the deaths in Europe happened in just six countries: the United Kingdom, with 127,100 deaths; Italy, with 114,612; Russia, with 103,263; France, with 99,163; Germany, with 78,452; and Spain with 76,525.
But the United Kingdom’s infection rate is falling as its massive vaccination campaign leads the way in Europe, with around 60 percent of the adult population having already received a first does of a vaccine.
France, Italy and Russia meanwhile are facing a third wave of coronavirus infections and are vaccinating their populations at a slower pace.
These figures are based on daily tolls provided by health authorities in each country and exclude later re-evaluations by statistical organisations, as has happened in Russia, Spain and Britain.
Follow the latest news on the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak
© 2021 AFP
More than one million coronavirus deaths in Europe (2021, April 12)
retrieved 13 April 2021
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
- Life expectancy in India dropped by two years due to COVID-19: Study - October 23, 2021
- US’ work with India on vaccine manufacturing saving people’s lives, says DFC chief - October 23, 2021
- Bengal reports steady Covid surge for third consecutive day - October 23, 2021
- Sri Lanka gives booster shots to front-line workers - October 23, 2021
- 3 children die of dengue in Uttar Pradesh - October 23, 2021
- India is close to turning the pandemic tide: Poonawalla - October 21, 2021
- Covishield may offer over 90% protection against death from Delta variant: Study - October 21, 2021
- PM Modi congratulated health workers on vaccinating 100 crore India’s population - October 21, 2021
- South African regulator rejects Russia’s COVID-19 vaccine - October 20, 2021
- Second wave of pandemic not receded yet, third wave feared post-Diwali: Maha health minister - October 20, 2021