(HealthDay)—For patients with COVID-19 pneumonia, rates of mortality and 30-day readmission are low with discharge on home oxygen, according to a study published online April 1 in JAMA Network Open.
Josh Banerjee, M.D., M.P.H., from the Los Angeles County + University of Southern California Medical Center, and colleagues conducted a retrospective cohort study involving 621 adult patients with COVID-19 pneumonia who were discharged from two large urban public hospitals from March 20 to Aug. 19, 2020. Patients receiving at least 3 L/min of oxygen who were stable without other indications for inpatient care were discharged with home oxygen equipment, educational resources, and nursing telephone follow-up within 12 to 18 hours of discharge.
Of the patients, 24 and 76 percent were discharged from the emergency department and inpatient encounters, respectively. The researchers found that within a median follow-up time of 26 days, the all-cause mortality rate was 1.3 percent, and the 30-day readmission rate was 8.5 percent. In the ambulatory setting, no deaths occurred.
“This expected practice may be considered part of a strategy to ensure right care, right place, and right time for patients with COVID-19 pneumonia, and to preserve acute care access during the pandemic,” the authors write.
Follow the latest news on the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak
Copyright © 2021 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Mortality, readmission low with COVID-19 discharge on home oxygen (2021, April 2)
retrieved 3 April 2021
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
- Health Tips You Will Be Surprised To Know The Benefits Of Ginger And Honey Chutney - April 19, 2021
- How pandemic responses neglected disabled people’s rights - April 19, 2021
- Many Employees Have Mixed Feelings as Offices Reopen - April 19, 2021
- मंत्री श्री देवड़ा कोविड पॉजिटिव होने के बावजूद अपने प्रभार के जिलों से सतत सम्पर्क में - April 19, 2021
- Can People With Blood Cancer Receive Fully Protection Against Covid-19 After MRNA Vaccines? Studies - April 19, 2021
- Brazilian COVID-19 variant much more transmissible than other strains - April 19, 2021
- Half of American Adults Have Now Gotten at Least One COVID Vaccine Shot - April 19, 2021
- सेना भी करेगी संक्रमण नियंत्रण और रोगियों की देखभाल में सहयोग - April 19, 2021
- Health Tips: Drinking Ghee In Milk Has Many Benefits, You Will Be Surprised To Know - April 19, 2021
- Warmer climate, more pollen, worse allergies: how to fight back - April 19, 2021