(HealthDay)—From 2010 to 2017, there were significant increases in the estimated rates of neonatal abstinence syndrome (NAS) and maternal opioid-related diagnoses (MOD), according to a study published in the Jan. 12 issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association.
Ashley H. Hirai, Ph.D., from the Department of Health and Human Services in Rockville, Maryland, and colleagues examined national and state variation in NAS and MOD rates in 2017 and described changes since 2010 using data from the 2010 to 2017 Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project National Inpatient Sample and State Inpatient Databases.
In the national sample, there were 751,037 birth hospitalizations and 748,239 delivery hospitalizations in 2017. In the discharge record, 5,375 newborns had NAS and 6,065 women had MOD. The researchers found that the estimated NAS rate increased significantly, from 4.0 to 7.3 per 1,000 birth hospitalizations from 2010 to 2017. The estimated MOD rate also increased significantly, from 3.5 to 8.2 per 1,000 hospitalizations. NAS rates varied from 1.3 per 1,000 birth hospitalizations in Nebraska to 53.5 in West Virginia, while MOD rates ranged from 1.7 in Nebraska to 47.3 in Vermont. For all states, there were significant increases noted in NAS and MOD rates from 2010 to 2017, except for Nebraska and Vermont, which only had increases in MOD.
“Between 2010 and 2017, 24 states saw increases of 100 percent or more for both indicators,” the authors write.
2010 to 2018 saw decrease in rate of death for people with HIV
Abstract/Full Text (subscription or payment may be required)
Copyright © 2020 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Neonatal abstinence syndrome, maternal opioid-related diagnoses up (2021, January 13)
retrieved 13 January 2021
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
- For Maximum Effectiveness, De-Stress and Get Healthy Before Your COVID Shot - January 22, 2021
- मुख्यमंत्री श्री चौहान ने भजन गायक श्री चंचल के निधन पर शोक व्यक्त किया - January 22, 2021
- गैजेट का इस्तेमाल दिमागी और शारीरिक सेहत को करता है प्रभावित, इस तरह ले सकते हैं डिजिटल ब्रेक - January 22, 2021
- Study examines mono, chronic fatigue syndrome in college students - January 22, 2021
- For Rising Number of People, Obesity Is a Literal Headache - January 22, 2021
- आठ चिटफंड कंपनियाँ बंद - January 22, 2021
- Do You Know Vitamin K May Help You Have Strong Bones? Here Are Major Sources - January 22, 2021
- Allowed Foods on This Bland Diet - January 22, 2021
- Consenting for treatment in advance to reduce leaving the hospital against medical advice among patients with addiction - January 22, 2021
- Team of community pharmacists to start vaccinating housebound patients - January 22, 2021