Children with COVID-19 may present with new neurological symptoms involving the central and peripheral nervous systems, and splenial changes on imaging, according to a study published online July 1 in JAMA Neurology.
Omar Abdel-Mannan, M.D., from Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children in London, and colleagues reported neurological manifestations of children with COVID-19 in a case series involving patients younger than 18 years. Data were included for 27 patients with COVID-19 pediatric multisystem inflammatory syndrome.
The researchers found that four of the patients (14.8 percent) who were previously healthy had new-onset neurological symptoms, including encephalopathy, headaches, brainstem and cerebellar signs, muscle weakness, and reduced reflexes. All four required intensive care unit admission for treatment. In all four patients, splenium signal changes were seen on magnetic resonance imaging of the brain. Samples were acellular in the two patients whose cerebrospinal fluid was tested, with no evidence of infection on polymerase chain reaction or culture and negative oligoclonal band test results. A mild excess of slow activity was found in all three patients who underwent electroencephalography. Mild myopathic and neuropathic changes were seen in all three patients who underwent nerve conduction studies and electromyography. In all patients, there was neurological improvement, with two patients making a complete recovery by the end of the study.
“Clinicians should be adding SARS-CoV-2 to their differential diagnosis for children presenting with new neurologic symptoms,” the authors write.
Two authors disclosed financial ties to the pharmaceutical industry.
Follow the latest news on the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak
Copyright © 2020 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Neurological symptoms described in children with COVID-19 (2020, July 3)
retrieved 3 July 2020
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
- Ireland set for second lockdown as Europe reels from virus surge - October 21, 2020
- Pharmacists able to dispense COVID-19 treatments without a prescription under government protocols - October 21, 2020
- One Big Reason Women May Be Less Prone to COVID-19 - October 21, 2020
- KidZania Expands to the U.S. with Its First Grand Opening in Fall 2019 - October 21, 2020
- INFOSAN Quarterly Summary, 2020 #3 - October 21, 2020
- Is Lumpectomy a Major Surgery? - October 21, 2020
- Genomic differences may be key to overcoming prostate cancer disparities - October 21, 2020
- Dip in number of pharmacists who prescribe daily - October 21, 2020
- Health Highlights: Oct. 21, 2020 - October 21, 2020
- Food Lion Donates 500 Millionth Meal to Fight Hunger - October 21, 2020