A new, more infectious strain of the coronavirus has now spread to at least eight US states, official data showed Friday, as the country logged a record new daily virus caseload.
The B117 coronavirus strain, which emerged in Britain late last year, has been shown to be between 40 and 70 percent more contagious than variants which have spread previously.
Data from the US Centers for Disease Control (CDC) showed Friday that the strain—first reported in the US last week—has been detected in eight states, with California and Florida the worst affected.
The strain has also been found in Colorado, Texas, New York, Georgia, Connecticut and Pennsylvania, in a total of 63 cases.
Top US infectious disease expert Anthony Fauci told Newsweek on Wednesday that the variant may be “more widespread in the United States than we are currently detecting it to be”.
“I’m certain it’s here, we just haven’t detected it yet. And I think it’s pretty clear that if it’s in places like California, and New York and Colorado… that pretty soon it’s going to be in several more states,” he said.
The spread of B117 and another more infectious variant from South Africa, known as B1351, has sparked fears of a similar new strain emerging in the US.
But US officials on Friday denied reports that one had been detected so far.
“Researchers have been monitoring U.S. strains since the pandemic began, including 5,700 samples collected in November and December,” CDC spokesman Jason McDonald told CNBC.
“To date, neither researchers nor analysts at CDC have seen the emergence of a particular variant in the United States as has been seen with the emergence of B.1.1.7 in the United Kingdom or B.1.351 in South Africa.”
Almost 290,000 new coronavirus infections were reported in the US within 24 hours Friday according to Johns Hopkins University, a day after the world’s worst-hit country recorded a daily high of nearly 4,000 deaths.
Follow the latest news on the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak
© 2021 AFP
New COVID-19 variant found in eight US states: official data (2021, January 9)
retrieved 9 January 2021
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
- मंत्री डॉ. मिश्रा ने कोरोना वैक्सीनेशन कराने वालों से की चर्चा - January 16, 2021
- California now reporting 525 virus deaths every day - January 16, 2021
- स्वदेशी वैक्सीन का निर्माण गर्व का विषय : मुख्यमंत्री श्री चौहान - January 16, 2021
- Swallowing Problems (Dysphagia) Causes, Types, Symtpoms & Treatment - January 16, 2021
- Mexico sees record spike in coronavirus cases - January 16, 2021
- पशुपालन मंत्री श्री पटेल ने 9 गाँवों में 9 करोड़ की नल-जल योजनाओं का किया भूमि-पूजन - January 16, 2021
- Rusan Pharma Hiring MS MSc Science for Production API R and D - January 16, 2021
- GenNext India Hiring BPharm Mpharma Bsc Msc for Multiple Openings - January 16, 2021
- India’s jumbo-sized vaccine rollout in numbers - January 16, 2021
- MSN Laboratories Pvt Ltd WalkIn Drive for PQC Department on 20th Jan 2021 - January 16, 2021