SUNDAY, Jan. 10, 2021 – A new year can be a fresh start for you and your kids — and perhaps no year has needed a fresh start more than this one. So, a leading doctors’ group is offering parents tips for a healthy “reset” in 2021.
Get immunized. First of all, the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) is recommending you make sure your family is up to date on vaccines. If your family hasn’t yet been vaccinated for the flu, do that now, and be sure to call your pediatrician to make sure your kids are also up-to-date on their routine immunizations. And to help reduce the spread of germs — including the new coronavirus — be sure to teach kids good hand-washing habits.
Practice car safety. Parents of younger children should keep them safe in the car by keeping their car seats rear-facing as long as possible. The AAP recommends this for virtually all children under the age of 2 and most children up to age 4. Be sure to transmit your concerns to anyone who transports your child as well. Also, find out if your state has any new car seat laws.
Use online time wisely. Establish good digital habits, the AAP suggests, by researching age-appropriate media and making a “family-use plan.” Try to prevent unhealthy online gaming habits, and watch a show or play a video game together, so that your kids’ screen time isn’t always alone time.
Get out there. It’s easy, especially during COVID lockdowns, for kids to spend all their time indoors staring at screens. Offset all that screen use by spending more time outdoors — it’s even good for your child’s eye health to look at something other than screens. Being outdoors can also boost your children’s mood and their levels of the “sunshine vitamin,” vitamin D, while helping the whole family stay active.
Be good to yourself, too. Physically and mentally healthy parents are what kids need most. So, make sure you get proper rest and stay healthy, including regular check-ups. Practice self-care, the AAP suggests, and know that help is near if you’re experiencing depression or anxiety.
© 2021 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Posted: January 2021
- प्रिसिज़न इंजीनियरिंग में पहले आओ-पहले पाओ के आधार पर प्रवेश - January 27, 2021
- What Can Cure Pancreatitis? - January 27, 2021
- 100 mn cases worldwide, as US seeks to reset its COVID fight - January 27, 2021
- COVID-19 Linked to Devastating Pregnancy Complications - January 27, 2021
- Panacea Biotec Multiple Openings for Freshers and Experienced in Production QA QC Microbiology Departments Apply Now - January 27, 2021
- विश्वविद्यालय और महाविद्यालय गाँव गोद लेकर करवाएंगे विकास कार्य - January 27, 2021
- Health Tips: These Drinks And Foods May Help Your Liver Health Better - January 27, 2021
- Can Type 1 Diabetes be Cured? - January 27, 2021
- Study shows pandemic stress affects how parents feed their children - January 27, 2021
- What’s the skinny in 2021? - January 27, 2021