New York City could run out of its COVID-19 vaccine stock “by the end of next week,” Mayor Bill de Blasio told journalists Tuesday, calling on the federal government and laboratories to prevent a dearth of doses.
“The federal structure is going way too slow in terms of getting vaccine to us,” de Blasio said, echoing similar criticisms leveled by President-elect Joe Biden.
After a slow start in administering vaccinations, the most populous city in the United States has accelerated in recent days.
Nearly a hundred sites began booking appointments starting Monday, and three large vaccination centers opened in the boroughs of the Bronx, Brooklyn and Queens.
Just on Monday 26,528 doses were distributed, according to the mayor, who anticipated the city was “well on track” to reach its goal of giving 175,000 shots this week.
On Tuesday New York’s Governor Andrew Cuomo widened eligibility to include those age 65 and above, based on federal guidelines.
Those age 75 years and older, along with teachers, police officers, firefighters and transportation workers, had already been eligible.
As of Monday, 216,014 New Yorkers had received at least one dose of the vaccines to fight coronavirus, with one produced by the Pfizer and BioNTech labs and the other by biotechnology company Moderna.
On Tuesday the mayor also announced that the Mets baseball stadium in Queens, Citi Field, would be transformed into a supersite for vaccinations, beginning the week of January 25.
The site will operate nonstop, allowing for the vaccination of between 5,000 and 7,000 people per day.
“We welcome all New Yorkers. We even welcome Yankees fans,” de Blasio quipped, referencing the longstanding rivalry between with the city’s other baseball team in the Bronx.
Follow the latest news on the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak
© 2021 AFP
New York could run out of vaccine stock by next week’s end: mayor (2021, January 12)
retrieved 12 January 2021
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
- नगरीय विकास एवं आवास मंत्री श्री सिंह ने ली भोपाल मास्टर प्लान की जानकारी - January 27, 2021
- Blood oxygen level: ब्लड ऑक्सीजन लेवल का कम होना सकता है घातक, जानिए इससे बारे में सबकुछ - January 27, 2021
- How Do You Relieve Pain In The Back Of Your Knee? - January 27, 2021
- Researchers simplify the study of gene-environment interactions - January 27, 2021
- MSN Laboratories Pvt Ltd 60 Openings WalkIn Drive for Freshers and Experienced in AR and D Department on 28th Jan 2021 - January 27, 2021
- Try This Warm Jaggery Drink In Winter, Will Improve Gut Health And Keep You Inside Warm - January 27, 2021
- For older adults, specific Facebook activities more important than overall use - January 27, 2021
- व्यायाम करने वाले लोगों को कैल्शियम और विटामिन डी का सेवन क्यों लाजिमी करना चाहिए? - January 27, 2021
- Not everyone has equal access to crucial information that can stop the spread of COVID-19 - January 27, 2021
- What’s Killing Detainees at U.S. ICE Facilities? - January 27, 2021