Around half of South Africa’s population is thought to have contracted COVID-19, studies and statisticians say, suggesting the virus has claimed tens of thousands more lives than officially recorded.
The country worst hit by coronavirus in Africa has registered more than 140,000 excess natural deaths since May 2020, according to the South African Medical Research Council.
Leading private medical insurance Discovery estimates that around 90 percent of those fatalities are attributable to COVID-19, pushing the real death toll past 120,000.
Officially, South Africa has recorded close to 1.5 million coronavirus cases, of which just under 48,500 have been fatal.
But statisticians believe those figures are under-estimated.
Their findings are broadly consistent with coronavirus antibody surveys, which can detect whether a person has been infected with COVID-19 even after recovery.
A study released last week of almost 5,000 blood donors across four provinces found that between 32 and 63 percent of sampled individuals had contracted coronavirus since the pandemic started—compared with clinically confirmed case rates of two to three percent.
Most antibodies were detected in the Eastern Cape and KwaZulu-Natal provinces, both epicentres of South Africa’s second infection wave when it started in December, one month before the study was conducted.
Follow the latest news on the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak
© 2021 AFP
One in two South Africans has had COVID-19: estimates (2021, February 18)
retrieved 18 February 2021
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
- 116 more test COVID positive at Karnataka’s medical college - November 26, 2021
- Slip Disc Surgery performed on awake patient - November 26, 2021
- Serum Institute resumes COVID-19 vaccine exports - November 26, 2021
- Mild third wave of COVID-19 pandemic likely in December: Maharashtra Health Minister Rajesh Tope - November 25, 2021
- Putin tests experimental nasal vaccine against COVID-19 - November 25, 2021
- Italy targets unvaccinated with restrictions as cases rise - November 25, 2021
- 59% of employees in India report feeling stressed in everyday life - November 23, 2021
- Capital records 7,128 dengue cases, highest in six years - November 23, 2021
- Covid-19: Tamil Nadu reports 750 new cases - November 23, 2021
- EU considers booster doses of J&J’s COVID-19 vaccine - November 23, 2021