A vaccine against coronavirus, being developed together by scientists at the University of Oxford and pharma giant AstraZeneca, may be cleared by health regulators by the end of this year, according to a UK media report.
The vaccine candidate is the furthest in the process of trials, according to a report in The Times quoting British government sources. “We are looking at closer to six months and it is likely to be far shorter than that,” one such source said.
Under a protocol developed by the UK’s Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation, any approved vaccine will then be administered to all those aged over 65 years, followed by younger adults at higher risk. These could include those from ethnic minorities as well as ones with serious health issues. People aged over 50 will be next in line, with younger adults at the back of the queue.
The government has ordered 100 million doses of the vaccine once it is ready for rollout and, in order to save time, the doses are being manufactured even before it has proved successful.
According to the media report, scientists on the trial are hopeful that at the very least it will prevent 50 per cent of the infections, deemed the threshold for success.
If approved, the UK’s National Health Service (NHS) is ready to begin mass vaccination immediately.
Some in the government, however, are more cautious on the timelines. A Royal Society report this week, co-authored by an Indian-origin scientist, warned of the massive uphill task ahead in producing and distributing a vaccine.
- Diabetes In Youth - June 14, 2021
- Diabesity: The dreadful combination of diabetes and obesity - June 1, 2021
- क्यों जरूरी है स्वास्थ्य बीमा - May 24, 2021
- Diabetic Foot: Do Not Ignore It! - May 24, 2021
- Health risks of tobacco consumption and ways to quit smoking - May 17, 2021
- Eminem – Stronger Than I Was - May 12, 2021
- Dj Dark – Chill Vibes - May 12, 2021
- Leona Lewis – Bleeding Love (Dj Dark & Adrian Funk Remix) - May 12, 2021
- Silicon Valley Guru Affected by the Fulminant Slashed - May 12, 2021
- Watch Awesome Kate Go Full Cooking Pro in England this Week - May 12, 2021