A vaccine against coronavirus, being developed together by scientists at the University of Oxford and pharma giant AstraZeneca, may be cleared by health regulators by the end of this year, according to a UK media report.
The vaccine candidate is the furthest in the process of trials, according to a report in The Times quoting British government sources. “We are looking at closer to six months and it is likely to be far shorter than that,” one such source said.
Under a protocol developed by the UK’s Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation, any approved vaccine will then be administered to all those aged over 65 years, followed by younger adults at higher risk. These could include those from ethnic minorities as well as ones with serious health issues. People aged over 50 will be next in line, with younger adults at the back of the queue.
The government has ordered 100 million doses of the vaccine once it is ready for rollout and, in order to save time, the doses are being manufactured even before it has proved successful.
According to the media report, scientists on the trial are hopeful that at the very least it will prevent 50 per cent of the infections, deemed the threshold for success.
If approved, the UK’s National Health Service (NHS) is ready to begin mass vaccination immediately.
Some in the government, however, are more cautious on the timelines. A Royal Society report this week, co-authored by an Indian-origin scientist, warned of the massive uphill task ahead in producing and distributing a vaccine.
- Is There a Better Therapy for Hospitalized Anorexia Patients? - October 21, 2020
- Western Union Releases Inaugural Environmental, Social and Governance Report - October 21, 2020
- उपचुनाव के लिए विशिष्ट पर्यवेक्षक का आगमन - October 21, 2020
- Pandemic Putting Americans Under Great Mental Strain: Poll - October 21, 2020
- Dublin Irish Festival Launches Event Mobile App Powered by Ease Logistics - October 21, 2020
- लगभग 5082 वाहन चालकों के लायसेंस निलंबित - October 21, 2020
- AHA News: How to Fill the Crucial Need for More Black Cardiologists - October 21, 2020
- Digital Transformation Gets Bigger, Better, Bolder at LiveWorx’19 - October 21, 2020
- 35 अभ्यर्थियों की नाम वापसी के बाद 355 विधिमान्य अभ्यर्थी शेष - October 21, 2020
- What will convince Americans to get a COVID-19 vaccine? - October 20, 2020