The remote Pacific nation of Micronesia recorded its first case of COVID-19 on Monday, ending its run as one of the few places on Earth without the coronavirus.
President David Panuelo acknowledged the development was “alarming” for the country’s 100,000 inhabitants but said the case had been contained at the border.
“For this reason, citizens across the nation should remain calm,” he said in a televised address.
“Do not panic because the situation is contained.”
Panuelo said the positive test came from a crewman on a government ship “Chief Mailo”, which had been in the Philippines undergoing repairs.
He said the man and his colleagues remained on the vessel, which was anchored in a lagoon under round-the-clock surveillance.
“We remain in what we call COVID-condition-four, which means that schools, churches, and businesses of all kinds are still open,” he added.
Far-flung Pacific island nations have been among the most successful in the world at keeping out the virus after closing their borders early in response to the threat, despite the huge cost to tourism-reliant economies.
Vanuatu, the Solomon Islands, the Marshall Islands, Samoa and now Micronesia have lost their virus-free status, although none have so far reported community transmission.
The island nations and territories of Kiribati, Nauru, Palau, Tonga and Tuvalu are believed to still be free of the coronavirus.
The cautious approach adopted in the Pacific islands was prompted by fears they are particularly vulnerable because of poor hospital infrastructure and high rates of underlying health conditions such as obesity and heart disease.
Follow the latest news on the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak
© 2021 AFP
Pacific’s Micronesia records first Covid-19 case (2021, January 11)
retrieved 11 January 2021
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
- Getting the COVID-19 Vaccine? A Good Night’s Sleep Will Help - January 21, 2021
- Covid-19 Vaccine: टीका लगवाने के बाद आपको क्या करना चाहिए और किन बातों से बचना चाहिए, यहां लें पूरी जानकारी - January 21, 2021
- Don’t panic, you’ll get vaccine, says WHO - January 21, 2021
- America Sees COVID-19 Deaths Top 400,000, While New Variants Worry Scientists - January 21, 2021
- Chile approves Chinese coronavirus vaccine - January 21, 2021
- HINDYS LAB PVT LTD WalkIn Drive for Production on 21st Jan 2021 - January 21, 2021
- Ipca Laboratories Ltd WalkIn Interviews for Quality Control on 23rd Jan 2021 - January 21, 2021
- Dental Practices Rebound as U.S. Dentists Look Forward to COVID-19 Vaccine - January 21, 2021
- New trial finds arthritis drug tocilizumab no better than standard care for severe COVID-19 - January 21, 2021
- AHA News: COVID-19 Registries Offer Lessons Beyond the Coronavirus - January 21, 2021