Peru on Saturday reported a record daily 294 coronavirus deaths, the health ministry said, just over a week before millions of people are due to go out and vote for a new president and congress.
Unlike neighbor Chile, which had also been due to hold elections next Sunday but postponed them in the face of the health crisis, Peru’s president has decided to push ahead.
The latest 24-hour toll exceeded the South American country’s previous record of 277 deaths in a day last August and brought total fatalities to 52,625, with more than 1.5 million recorded infections, ministry data showed.
More than 5,600 new daily cases were reported on Saturday as the continent battles a surge in infections fueled by new virus variants believed to be more contagious.
Peru had reported a record of nearly 13,000 new cases on Thursday as it entered a four-day national lockdown for the Easter weekend in a bid to limit new infections.
Over the last two months, the country of 33 million people has seen some 200 daily deaths due to the coronavirus.
Vaccination of health personnel, soldiers, police, firefighters and the elderly started in February.
Follow the latest news on the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak
© 2021 AFP
Peru registers highest daily COVID-19 death toll (2021, April 4)
retrieved 4 April 2021
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
- WHO’s technical advisory group to meet on Oct 26 to consider Covaxin - October 19, 2021
- 163 oxygen plants set up in MP after shortage during 2nd COVID-19 wave: CM Shivraj Singh Chouhan - October 19, 2021
- India’s R-value below 1 since September, researchers say - October 19, 2021
- Mumbai: Double vaccine jab not mandatory to enter theatres, colleges to reopen with 50% attendance - October 19, 2021
- Daily exercise routine, balanced diet, active lifestyle & quality sleep key to success in personal & professional lives: Experts - October 19, 2021
- Storia® Food & Beverages gets backed by Sixth Sense Ventures - October 19, 2021
- No COVID-19 death in Mumbai for first time almost since pandemic began - October 18, 2021
- New govt hospital to come up in Delhi’s Shalimar Bagh - October 18, 2021
- Mix-and-match vaccines highly effective against COVID-19: Lancet - October 18, 2021
- Self-reliance: Govt aims to make semiconductors in India by mid-2022 - October 18, 2021