(HealthDay)—Conducting point-prevalence surveys in skilled nursing facilities (SNFs) can inform cohorting and infection prevention and control (IPC) activities to reduce transmission, according to research published in the July 1 early-release issue of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report.
Noting that the Detroit Health Department and area hospitals detected an increase in COVID-19 diagnoses, hospitalizations, and associated deaths among SNF residents during March 2020, Guillermo V. Sanchez, M.P.H., from the CDC COVID-19 Response Team, and colleagues described efforts to inform severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) infection prevention in SNFs.
The researchers note that the Detroit Health Department collaborated with partners to rapidly expand SARS-CoV-2 testing and implement IPC activities in all SNFs in the Detroit area. Among 2,773 residents of 26 Detroit SNFs, 1,207 laboratory-confirmed cases of COVID-19 were identified during March 7 to May 8 (before [March 7 to April 7] and after two point-prevalence surveys [April 8 to 25 and April 30 to May 8]), with an overall attack rate of 44 percent. Within 21 days of receiving their first positive test result, 37 and 24 percent of the 1,207 COVID-19 patients were hospitalized and died, respectively. The percentage of positive test results decreased from 35 to 18 percent among facilities participating in both surveys.
“As the availability of SARS-CoV-2 testing increases, repeated point-prevalence surveys and intensified IPC support from public health practitioners are essential components of COVID-19 IPC strategies in SNFs experiencing COVID-19 outbreaks,” the authors write.
Follow the latest news on the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak
Copyright © 2020 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Point-prevalence surveys in SNFs help cut COVID-19 transmission (2020, July 3)
retrieved 3 July 2020
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
- What Is Breast Biopsy With Needle Localization? - October 22, 2020
- उषा ने एंटी-बैक्टीरियल स्टरलाइजेशन सिस्टम वाली वाटर हीटर रेन्ज लॉन्च की - October 22, 2020
- Czechs enter 2nd lockdown to avoid health system collapse - October 22, 2020
- The new abnormal: vulnerable patients hit by pharmacy closures - October 22, 2020
- New U.S. Bank Mobile App Delivers Unprecedented Personalized Insights - October 22, 2020
- सहकारी क्षेत्र में यूरिया एवं डी.ए.पी. की पर्याप्त उपलब्धता - October 22, 2020
- Coronavirus Plan: After Testing Positive, What Should Be Your Next Steps? - October 22, 2020
- Scleroderma Symptoms, Treatment, Diagnosis, Causes & Prognosis - October 22, 2020
- Germany’s virus situation ‘very serious’: health body - October 22, 2020
- PerkinElmer Genomics Introduces Physician-Ordered Genetic Screening Test for Proactive Health Management - October 22, 2020