Portugal will introduce a curfew across most of the country from Monday in an effort to combat surging coronavirus case numbers, Prime Minister Antonio Costa has announced.
The measures will be in effect all weeknights and from 1pm on weekends for at least two weeks, Costa said after an emergency cabinet meeting late Saturday.
It comes a day after the country declared a state of emergency over the pandemic, with the daily number of new infections tripling to 6,000 since early October.
“The only way to control the pandemic is to avoid social interaction,” said Costa, adding that the measures were necessary to avoid the reintroduction of the stricter lockdown authorities imposed during the spring.
Costa said the restrictions would apply to around 70 percent of the population.
Several European countries have introduced new movement restrictions in an effort to control a fierce second wave of infections across the continent.
Greece became the latest European nation to enter lockdown on Saturday, with people there only allowed to leave home if they receive authorisation from a mobile phone request.
Poland was also imposing fresh measures on the weekend with the closure of most shopping centres.
Follow the latest news on the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak
© 2020 AFP
Portugal to impose coronavirus curfew from Monday (2020, November 8)
retrieved 8 November 2020
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
- South African regulator rejects Russia’s COVID-19 vaccine - October 20, 2021
- Second wave of pandemic not receded yet, third wave feared post-Diwali: Maha health minister - October 20, 2021
- WHO chief discusses Covaxin, resumption of AstraZeneca vaccine supplies to COVAX facility with Health Minister Mandaviya - October 20, 2021
- Trivitron Healthcare in collaboration with Diagon- Vanguard Diagnostics launches Diagon’s Coagulation range in India - October 20, 2021
- Breast cancer early detection, screening, and management – what we need to know - October 20, 2021
- WHO’s technical advisory group to meet on Oct 26 to consider Covaxin - October 19, 2021
- 163 oxygen plants set up in MP after shortage during 2nd COVID-19 wave: CM Shivraj Singh Chouhan - October 19, 2021
- India’s R-value below 1 since September, researchers say - October 19, 2021
- Mumbai: Double vaccine jab not mandatory to enter theatres, colleges to reopen with 50% attendance - October 19, 2021
- Daily exercise routine, balanced diet, active lifestyle & quality sleep key to success in personal & professional lives: Experts - October 19, 2021