Portugal will introduce a curfew across most of the country from Monday in an effort to combat surging coronavirus case numbers, Prime Minister Antonio Costa has announced.
The measures will be in effect all weeknights and from 1pm on weekends for at least two weeks, Costa said after an emergency cabinet meeting late Saturday.
It comes a day after the country declared a state of emergency over the pandemic, with the daily number of new infections tripling to 6,000 since early October.
“The only way to control the pandemic is to avoid social interaction,” said Costa, adding that the measures were necessary to avoid the reintroduction of the stricter lockdown authorities imposed during the spring.
Costa said the restrictions would apply to around 70 percent of the population.
Several European countries have introduced new movement restrictions in an effort to control a fierce second wave of infections across the continent.
Greece became the latest European nation to enter lockdown on Saturday, with people there only allowed to leave home if they receive authorisation from a mobile phone request.
Poland was also imposing fresh measures on the weekend with the closure of most shopping centres.
Follow the latest news on the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak
© 2020 AFP
Portugal to impose coronavirus curfew from Monday (2020, November 8)
retrieved 8 November 2020
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
- COVID case rates hit new high for England, study finds - April 7, 2022
- Govt’s focus on affordable healthcare ensured significant savings for poor, middle class: PM Modi - April 7, 2022
- SRL Diagnostics and Skye Air Mobility collaborate to transport pathology samples using drone logistics - April 6, 2022
- Healthineers sets up new production line of CT scanners in Bengaluru under PLI scheme - April 6, 2022
- Lupin inks licensing pact with Alvion to market drugs in Southeast Asia - April 6, 2022
- Yoga Mahotsav: Ayush Ministry to organise event to demonstrate common yoga on World Health Day - April 6, 2022
- LordsMed forays into the medtech space with launch of health ATMs ‘Lords Sehat’ - April 5, 2022
- ‘Friendly viruses’ can be the next big thing in the history of medical research and more - April 5, 2022
- No setback to Bharat Biotech even as WHO suspends Covaxin UN supply: Sources - April 4, 2022
- Govt panel recommends Serum’s Covovax dose for kids aged 12 and above - April 4, 2022