(HealthDay)—Possible reinfection with severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) has been observed at a skilled nursing facility (SNF) in Kentucky, according to research published in the Feb. 26 issue of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report.
Alyson M. Cavanaugh, D.P.T., Ph.D., from the Kentucky Department for Public Health in Frankfort, and colleagues conducted an investigation at a SNF that experienced a second COVID-19 outbreak in October 2020, following a first outbreak in July 2020.
The researchers found that positive SARS-CoV-2 reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) test results were obtained at both outbreaks for five residents. Three of these five residents were asymptomatic during the first outbreak and two had mild symptoms that resolved before the second outbreak. During the second outbreak, disease severity was worse than during the first outbreak and included one death. Phylogenetic strain comparison was not possible because test samples were not retained. However, the possibility of reinfection was suggested because there was interim period symptom resolution in the two symptomatic patients; at least four negative RT-PCR test results were obtained before the second positive test; and there was a three-month interval between the first and second outbreaks.
“Based on the observations of this study, testing and cohorting practices in SNFs should not assume that residents infected >90 days earlier are immune to COVID-19,” the authors write. “Public health interventions to limit transmission are vital for all persons in SNFs, including those who have previously been infected with SARS-CoV-2.”
Point-prevalence surveys in SNFs help cut COVID-19 transmission
Copyright © 2020 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Possible SARS-CoV-2 reinfection described at skilled nursing facility (2021, February 26)
retrieved 26 February 2021
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
- Diabetes In Youth - June 14, 2021
- Diabesity: The dreadful combination of diabetes and obesity - June 1, 2021
- क्यों जरूरी है स्वास्थ्य बीमा - May 24, 2021
- Diabetic Foot: Do Not Ignore It! - May 24, 2021
- Health risks of tobacco consumption and ways to quit smoking - May 17, 2021
- Eminem – Stronger Than I Was - May 12, 2021
- Dj Dark – Chill Vibes - May 12, 2021
- Leona Lewis – Bleeding Love (Dj Dark & Adrian Funk Remix) - May 12, 2021
- Silicon Valley Guru Affected by the Fulminant Slashed - May 12, 2021
- Watch Awesome Kate Go Full Cooking Pro in England this Week - May 12, 2021